Why is God speaking in riddles?

by sosoconfused 82 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Colossians 1:25-26

I became a minister of this [congregation] in accordance with the stewardship from God which was given me in YOUR interest to preach the word of God fully, 26 the sacred secret that was hidden from the past systems of things and from the past generations. But now it has been made manifest to his holy ones,

It was only after Jesus Christ's crucifixtion and resurrection that the Apostles understood its significance and meaning. The "riddles" in the old testament which no previous generation understood (including Satan himself!) made complete sense.

An enormous number of Jews today still do not understand this.

But hey, thats another mystery:

Romans 11:25-26

For I do not want YOU, brothers, to be ignorant of this sacred secret, in order for YOU not to be discreet in your own eyes: that a dulling of sensibilities has happened in part to Israel until the full number of people of the nations has come in, 26 and in this manner all Israel will be saved. Just as it is written: "The deliverer will come out of Zion and turn away ungodly practices from Jacob.

There is a reason why the Jews do not understand those old testament riddles!

abe

• Joliette
    Joliette

I aint gonna lie: I'm an atheist/agnostic, and there are some parts of the bible that I do enjoy reading. HOWEVER, (and this is MY opinion, not to offend anyone on here) but it is a work of fiction, based on fear and silly dreams, written down by mortal man. That is it. When I was a witness I really thought the bible meant something and that it was written for true Christians....but when I started doing my research started to discover that all cults think they are theeeeee true christians. Its a scam and I feel sorry for people who are dragged into this because they can't handle their reality. Its not their fault. Cults like Jehovahs Witnesses promise unconditional love for those who didnt have family and unconditional love growing up, but all they bring is shame and eternal gulit (for those who can't overcome this). Now, with the bible, I am not saying that the people in the bible never existed. There may have been a jesus, and I am not saying there never was a jesus. But when it comes to the supernatural BS, example, walking on water, turning water into wine, etc, thats mythology, nothing more, nothing less.

• cofty
    cofty
    If you want to believe why don't you pray to God for more faith? That would solve your problem. - Kosonen

Has there ever been a more perfect example of the paucity of superstion-based thinking?

Skeptic - I don't think there is enough evidence to believe in god

Kosonen - Ah well you need to pray to god for help

Skeptic - But I don't believe in god

Kosonen - You need more faith

Skeptic - What's faith?

Kosonen - It's the ability to believe incredible things without evidence.

Skeptic - Why would I want to do that?

Kosonen - Because god values faith.

Skeptic - But I don't believe in god

Wash, rinse and repeat ad nauseum

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Skeptic - I don't think there is enough evidence to believe in god

Christian - You are the evidence that there is a God.

Skeptic - How can I be evidence that there is a God?

Christian - Where then do you think you came from?

Skeptic - I am the result of an accident that occured in a puddle of chemical soup from billions of years ago.

Christian - How do you know that?

Skeptic - Acredited scientists with diplomas and certificates told me thats how it happened.

Christian - Where is their evidence?

Skeptic - They don't have any

Christian - So you have faith in scientists?

Skeptic - Yes, its better than believing we were created by God.

Christian - Your faith in something that has absolutely no evidence is enormous!

Skeptic - That is what I am going to believe until you can prove that I was created by God.

Christian - I am going to continue believing that I was created by God unless you can prove that you are a chemical accident.

Wash, rinse and repeat ad nauseum

• cofty
    cofty

Firstly you are decades behind in your comments about chemical soup. Try to keep up.

Secondly inventing the ultimate complex being doesn't help answer how complex beings came about.

Thirdly I have no "faith" in science. My beliefs are congruent with the available evidence. When we reach the boundaries of evidence the correct answer is "We don't know yet".

Science is nothing more than a method for discovering stuff that is true about the world.

Faith is a way of stopping further investigation when questions get difficult. Faith is a substitute for thinking.

Faith is not a virtue.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I think some are missing the point. Illustrations and parables are fine... they make sense. For the most part they can be understood on the spot and if one is interested would ask more. After all what idiot listening to the good samaritan or even the "faithful slave" wouldn't understand that to some degree.

I am referring to people thinking that a bunch of numerology and date crunching and symbolism is howgod decided to inform all of mankind about a significant event that means their lives. For instance the prophecy of Daniel and this whole made up 1914 thing. The 2520 days = years cuz 360 days in a lunar blah blah blah blah...

Come on man, there is no point to that besides mental gymnastics for overreaching egoists

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

sosoconfused,

There is no mystery or riddle about what a person needs to do to save their life.

It was plainly explained by Jesus Christ himself.

What I find mysterious is why I can find no one actually doing what he plainly said.

That is the mystery which can be resolved through the riddles and symbology.

abe

• Wholly
    Wholly

God's foe, Satan does not have foresight but is able to glean from prophecy and parables within the Bible. He knows many things, except the day of the wrath of the Lord. The only way to have accurate understanding of the parables (riddles) is through the Holy Spirit sent by Jesus Christ to his faithful, which Satan does not have, obviously.

Satan is clever and extremely intelligent but is not all-knowing nor all-powerful. A close, intimate, faithful relationship with Jesus Christ is our only hope in escaping the traps and pitfalls of the Imposter before that glorious day of His return.

That's my understanding.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I must admit that there is not one parable in the bible that can't be understood by a 5 year old. Maybe one or two but a 10 year old could grasp those. In regards to Satan not understanding a parable in the bible... I am not sure I can buy that. So if Satan were to read some of the parables of Jesus he wouldn't understand them is what you guys are saying?

• Wholly
    Wholly

He'd be guessing along with the rest of the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit