Should all elders be painted with the same brush?

by Socrateswannabe 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

An hour or two ago, I was reading a topic on this forum that welcomed new elders to JWN. There was some criticism aimed at the OP and I understand that elders shouldn't be singled out as special. One poster said he/she hates all elders. I am an elder. That may put me into the hated minority by some on this board. I was going to post my side of the story on the original topic, but by the time I wrote this, copied and was ready to paste it into the original thread, it is gone. I don't know if it was removed or if I'm just too stupid to find it again. So I'm starting my own topic about it. If you disagree, let me have it. I'm a big boy and I think I can take it, but at least read what I have to say, please, so that you'll have another side of the story to consider.

There are legitimate reasons to dislike and disrespect some individuals, including many of the elders. Some of them are ambitious, autocratic, and ignorant; but not all. Some are sincere (sincerely wrong but sincere). Others have woken up but for some reason or another can't get out or at least hope to do some good from the "inside". If you are a male JW, the peer pressure is enormous to "reach out", and it is very hard to resist being the tin can that gets kicked down that road toward eldership.

My wife and kids were Witnesses before I became one. They believed (and still do) that this is the truth, and so I experienced gentle persuasion from them to "taste and see that Jehovah is good". I did it for them. I had reservations from the start, but it made them so happy for me to study and to attend meetings. I thought, what's the harm? Once you show a little interest, however, then the congregation takes over. There is more gentle persuasion at first, love-bombing, and finally guilt tripping. Once I began attending meetings, my book study conductor (I came in when we still had that arrangement) suggested to me that I begin commenting by reading a scripture at the book study-that's all I had to do. So I did it. Of course he wasn't satisfied with that for long and he began working on me to make actual comments at the book study. Okay, sure. That led to encouragement to join the School, comment at the larger congregation meetings, and qualify to become an unbaptized publisher. The organization is designed so that unless you're downright hostile or seem to be a troublemaker, you're going to "progress". There is no such thing as standing still in "Jehovah's organization". It's designed that way, as are all cults. So unless you're willing to forcefully resist, you find yourself baptized, as I did, although I still had reservations about this being God's organization or even remotely resembling the truth. In my case, again, I wanted to please not only my new friends, but most importantly my wife and kids.

If you are a baptized man within the organization and you appear that you will not challenge the elder body and you are willing to work, you're quickly offered small privileges. Carrying the roving mikes during the meetings, assisting the magazine or literature servant, acting as an attendant, sound room guy, whatever. These are innocuous little responsibilities. Likely though the elders will begin to talk with you about "reaching out". In my case I listened politely but had no intention of doing anything beyond the basics. But just show any consistency and even a modicum of talent at anything, and the next thing you know, five minutes before the mid-week meeting starts, you find yourself in one of the back rooms with two elders, they telling you that you have been appointed as a ministerial servant, and is there any reason why you can't accept the privilege. There is no advance warning. And it is presented to you as though you have to make an instant decision. They need to know "now"--in the next couple of minutes, because it is going to be announced tonight. I guess a few resist or ask for more time to think about it, but most people, like me, succumb to the pressure and agree to the assignment.

Now you're giving service meeting parts and have other extended privileges. Once again, if you do your job even moderately well, you're on the short list for elder. The naïve ones, like me, have no idea the pressure exerted on the elder body to use the pool of ministerial servants as an "elder mill". Having served as an elder now for a number of years, I can tell you that when the CO arrives for his semi-annual visit, he looks down upon the elder body which cannot produce at least one candidate for consideration for recommendation for eldership. The further you're kicked up the organizational ladder and the longer you stay in the Org, the worse the peer pressure gets. So again unless you're weird or seem like a troublemaker, within a reasonable time you find yourself in the back room again, this time being informed that you've been appointed as an elder, and is there any reason why you can't accept yet another privilege of service.

I know this has been a long post and I apologize for its length. But my (wordy) point is; many of us just get swept downstream with the current. That's the way cults work. Eldership, Bethel, missionary work, and other "privileges" are constantly pushed on those who are seen as capable brothers. Sisters get the same pressure, to pioneer or participate in the few other forms of extended service that is open to them in this "good ole boy" organization. Many of us did not seek the position we are in today. I know in my case, I could have put the brakes on it at any time. I could put the brakes on it now; I could step down, I could renounce my faith, but I'm not going to do that. I love my wife and kids and it would be a crushing blow for me, the guy who finally came and around and became their longed-for spiritual head, to revert to the lowest of the low, a quitter or even worse in my family's eyes, an apostate.

I struggle with this. I am not happy with my lot in life. I don't want to be an elder. I don't even want to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. But I choose to stay. How can I make the best of it? I genuinely try to help "the flock". The soothing balm that I apply to the wounded doesn't always come from the bible. I read many more "secular" works than I do WTS publications. I have tried to learn how to help people help themselves, rather than rely on a nebulous sky-dad to fix all of their problems or at least to help them cope. I have managed (it isn't easy) to leave out the negative from my meeting parts and public talks. I have even managed to skew a few assembly parts toward the positive points in the outline, while conveniently ignoring any of the condemnatory parts (they no longer make you practice assembly parts before the CO and DO before the event, so they really have no idea what you're going to say when you get up there and most of them are half-listening when you're giving the part anyway). I consistently lobby for "mercy" in any judicial committee that I am involved in. By the way, I never volunteer for judicial committees. If they are thrust upon me I will take the assignment but I think the brothers know they will end up with a split decision or a merciful end to the process, because I'm just not going to vote to DF anyone. Fortunately, the information in the "Flock" book is so contradictory and murky, that you could use portions of it to excuse Judas Iscariot if given the chance.

None of this completely sooths my conscience. Yes, I am still held up as a visible representative of an organization that can and often does ruin people's lives and takes away their dignity. I try to be different but I am still part of the problem since I do not renounce it. I think of the Nazis in the Nuremburg trials. Sometimes I feel like one of those guys. But I wanted to let you know that not all of us chose this lot, not all of us agree with what comes from the FDS, not all of us are spiritual zombies, and some of us long to be free, as many of you are. If I can get my family to learn TTATT without losing their love and respect, I hope one day to join you.

• cantleave
    cantleave

No they shouldn't. I served as an elder for a number of years, and tried to make a positive difference. I think there are a number of elders who are genuine in their efforts, but are "captive of the concept" and misled. They are not bad people. OTOH some are complete knobs.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

There was a programme on the television this week about William Tyndale and it made mention of his translating the word elder. My feeling is that elders are no different than a clergy class. I'm not keen on that.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

We can also say that criminals are in a captive of a concept, but they are not schzophreniacs, they can distinguis from reality, and that being the case, elders have a manual that they have to strickly follow, so the way they act, the questions they ask and the actions taken should all be very similar. Although some elders are nicer than others, a police officer is a police officer, a fireman is a fireman, an electrician is a... well you get my point, we are not judging individuals but elders or supervisors.

Some police officers are jerks and others are easy to deal with, but both types of officers surve their purpose, they are booth going to book you for (insert here). Similarly, I get caught with (insert here) and the elders body is going to act accordingly, even if they differ in certains aspects.

And being that elders are indeed captives in a concept, shut themselves and throwed away the key, they are honest people honestly mistaken, or as the bible puts it, the blind leading the blind, however this should not an excuse to tolerate injusticies, just as a court of law there needs to be retribution.

• prologos
    prologos

Socrates: you are right: "--and if you are not challenging the elders--" or are perceived to be a challenge-- see cofty's letter to Brooklyn.

as a class, elders are perceived to be worse then Tyndale's clergy, for clergy comes with credentials, education not shared by the flock, whereas elders have elevated themselfs by mutual appointments wt-style, above the lower level members, -- IF-- they are, - or become- the power hungry type. but:

AGREED: No,

THERE are GOOD, HUMBLE SERVANTS serving.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Elders are the ones that have access and have provided BOE letters and info that the majority of us would not have known. So, I am glad there are elders still in helping awakened ones here and in their respective congregations.

So, regarding the thread title the answer is NO.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Its a tough one this......

They are police, judge & juror, child protection officers, marriage councillors, psychiatrists, defence and prosecuting lawyers and shepherds ...... Yet qualified in none of these areas. How much damage does every individual elder do? ...and to how many individuals.. .?

Each one of those areas requires nearly a decade of training to be proficient. Yet elders as young as 30 are given all those roles. Dishing out punishments and advice to humans that professionals would balk at. Even a murderer gets a shorter sentence than a Jw who has decided its not for them anymore.

the elder position is not a joke, though the 'loyalty points' that qualify people to the role are.

• stillin
    stillin

I was always grateful for the occasional elder who was actually trying to build up the congregation, not just preside. The ones who kept their humanity moved me to put more thought into my talks and my presence in the congregation. I'm still in there, and it's not totally thankless. But of course, it's like being kind to an individual who is in the crowd of golden calf worship peers; it's built around a lie.

I don't think I can do it much longer. It's a strain on me as a person. I also have family who are blind about the whole thing and I realize that quitting will put a rift in my marriage, but what is it now? A pretense!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Certainly not! Most elders I know are genuine guys and I've never had a problem with them. The good ones far outnumber the petty arrogant ones.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I want to add that serving elders who have woken should seek removal as soon as possible, nothing more hypocritical than serving on a JC knowing the TATT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit