Should all elders be painted with the same brush?

by Socrateswannabe 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Hoser, very funny but hey, even if you have killed someone lately and there arent two witnesses, you're still probably safe!

On the serious side, you might make it if you go inactive but my experience is that although you don't get as much attention from the elders as an active Witness, you're still not completely overlooked. Around Memorial time and twice a year when the CO visits, there is a big push to contact and reactivate those who have faded away. The ones our BoE really leave alone are the ones who don't leave a forwarding address. That's about the only way to get lost permanently.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think that there are a lot of former elders on this site and for them to comment on whether they should all be painted with the same brush doesn't really carry much weight in my opinion.

• hoser
    hoser

if enough elders knew the truth about the truth and could stomach staying on as elders, they could actually change the direction of the religion.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Socrates, the short answer to the OP is "no"

It is a crisis of conscience.

One of the greatest expressions of humility is developing the fortitude to say "no"

Being an Elder is not the only way that those you love and care about in the congregation can be assisted by your abilities or qualifications or knowledge.

Absolving yourself of the position is the first step to freedom and will have the least repercussions as you put into play a well thought out fade and the awakening of your family.

Retaining the position is only a power play and locks you into a routine that is impossible to fade out of.

You sound like a great person. I hope you succeed in keeping your loved ones if and when....

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Tylinbrando, I can't argue with your postion. If I didn't have family to consider, it would be best for my emotional health to step down and check completely out. That takes more courage than I personally possess, however.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SOCRATESWANNABE:

Thank you for your honesty and admitting this is an organization that can and often does ruin people's lives.

I am not going to judge you, but some might. I can't imagine how many others there know what you know. I suppose anybody with working brain cells has to come to these conclusions unless they are caught up in "power" and "authority".

Good riddance to it all!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Socrates-I agree with you, there were many kind, sincere elders I have known in various congregations. There are a few who are total jerks, but somehow, I think they maybe acting with an enthusiasm similar to what Aaron's son, (Phineas ?) did. Basically going overboard in their 'jealousy' for Jehovah. These ones are over the top, looking for every infraction. Militant. They are lauded for their spiritual purity and so on, so it feeds their frenzy.

I empathize with your being trapped, and admire your honesty that you don't have the courage to openly leave...that is a very difficult row to hoe and no here should judge you negatively for wanting to protect yourself from the messy fall out.

Wishing you the best.

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Thanks for the kind words, Painted Toenail

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Should all elders be painted with the same brush?

No not at all, the elders of the JWS vary in personality and character just like the general population.

Some are there to really help people with their personal problems and some are there as means to elevate their own personal identity of themselves

(righteous stature) also a means of power and control over people.

To a certain extent some can be pretentious hypocrites and this varies as well.

The biggest problem I see with the JW religion is that its core doctrines have been fraudulently created to support the circulation

and distribution of the organization's own published works. From that the organization tries to shape people around that agenda by the

leaders of notably corrupt WTS. publishing house.

The WTS tries to deliberately shape its following adherents to be the organization's own sales representatives in the way they talk, look, think

and behave.

The Gospel from and out of the WTS. may very well have been commercially appealing but its not the truthful Gospel from the bible.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I was raised from infancy as a witness and my father served for many years as an elder and I attended as a publisher and pioneer eight different congregations in various regions of the US and UK over almost 40 years. I can't remember any good elders and I managed to resist the elders coming round with the why aren't you reaching out stuff although I feel they made it difficult. When someone close to me had trouble that needed spiritual help and they came close to suicide and one of those involved attempted it. The elders where totally useless in my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit