Looooooooooong Prayers...

by likeabird 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I was at a KHall when the CO was visiting. Some long winded Elder was asked to say the final prayer. He went on and on and after 5 minutes, from the audience, the CO yelled "Amen" and then started talking to the person next to him.

We were shocked and surprised but glad. lol

Just Lois

• Shador
    Shador

Lol, that's funny, Lois. That elder probably got his ears boxed later.

Reminds me of a convention I was at. The brother said the closing prayer but never said Amen. Everyone was just keeping their heads bowed in silence, for a minute or two until it got wierd. Some of us finally peaked, only to see the brother had left the stage. Finally, the brother comes back and just says "That's it." - truely odd.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah,thank you for all the nails in the Kindom Hall..

We know it holds the walls up..

Thank you for the ceiling and the gyprock and paint..

Thank you for the carpet and the uncomfortable seats..

Thank you for my JW Wife who`s only nice to me in public..

Thank you for the pavement in the KH parking lot..And ..

The shrubs out in front of the KH..

(20 minutes into the prayer..)

Thank you for Blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah..Ect..ect..ect..

.................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

This is one of the few things the WT gets right. They've always directed brothers to keep prayers at meetings under a minute. It sucks when the brother decides to preach in his prayers. It's so awful.

The worst place for long prayers is at Bethel. For certain prayers Bethel Elders are used. They few this is a chance to be in the spot light so they come up with the most word-salady prayers you've ever heard. Phrases like 'bless the hands that prepared this food' were commonly used.

Best short prayer ever was from Brother Barbour. It was fried fish that day. His prayer was literally, "Jehovah we thank you for the food. Amen." It was amazing. He really wanted to eat that fish.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I agree with Blondie...Freddy's prayers were as long as his talks...and just as rambling and incoherent!

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

This is one of my favorite cartoons from the Freeminds site...thanks Randy and Quak!

Long prayers

• label licker
    label licker

Yup! We have one who would go over the whole meeting in his prayer. Hubby decides to let one rip and I swear the noise was soooo loud that it bounced off the wall across to the other side of the building. People would start to laugh and the elder would end the prayer. Right after the amen we would look really dumbfounded and look at the poor kid behind us who was fast asleep and say to the parents "was that him"? He did that more than once

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

The last prayer of the district convention was Allllllways a doozy. Or should I say, dozy...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I remember the last prayer at the Rose Bowl one year, can't remember who but it was GB. Maybe Franz. It had been a long week and it was hot. The prayer went on and on, and eventually people started sneaking out. They couldn't take it any more. Then we were all stuck in a huge traffic jam in the parking lot, stuck there for hours before it all straightened out. What a long boring day.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

One memorial held at an Assembly Hall had a brother in his late 80's give thanks over the bread. Good thing it was unleavend. It was a nearly 15 minute epic. I swear the oldsters were sitting down from exhaustion. It was about the last one I atteneded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit