Looooooooooong Prayers...

by likeabird 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• likeabird
    likeabird

Let's have a bit of a laugh.

Who of you rolled your eyes when Brother Never Ending Prayers was called up to give the closing prayer?

Who of you then proceeded to tap your feet, fidget loudly or start doing balancing acts off the back of the chair in front of you while waiting for it to end?

Looking forward to your long prayer stories.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Oh yes! I hated long prayers!

• zeb
    zeb

brother neverendingprayers I like that.

I recall a baptism prayer that got the gender of the one candidate wrong twice, went on to start to 'close the meeting in prayer' before he realized swung back on track with an endless run of wt quotes cliches and finally finished. phew! what a insult all round.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

What got to me about them was first of all, they were simply an ego trip for the guy given the job, and second most seemed to think Big J was both a Moron and absent Himself throughout the day as they had to give a resume of the days programme, or all three days if it was the last prayer of the DC.

They would thank Jehovah for what He had provided and then tell him what it was, has He got a short term memory problem ?

• outofthelionsden
    outofthelionsden

I hated those long prayers! hey the brother before you already gave a 45 min talk ok? I remember one time I couldnt take it any longer in my 5in. heals so I just sat down halfway threw that horribly long prayer/talk lol

• likeabird
    likeabird

Great comments!

cantleave I hated them too, even worse was when it was a prayer before dinner and it would never end and never to the point.

zeb I was going to call him Brother Armageddon Prayers - you just never know when the end is going to come.

Phizzy I totally agree. I mean, why attend the three days when you just show up for the final prayer and get the programme in one foul swoop.

outofthelionsden Even without the heels, I still wanted to sit down halfway in. It must have been pure torture.

• hoser
    hoser

It is a pretense of spirituality. They think that people will think of them more spiritual if they ramble on.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Takes me back to Wembley & Twickers in the 50's and 60's.

Last prayer of the day, usually by a Bethelite, it's 9:00 o'clock at night, dark, and all you want to do is get back to your accomodation to get some sleep before the whole thing repeats the following day. Remember also these events went for a full week!

George

• Giordano
    Giordano

We had this Circuit Servant (1960's). Anyway at a lunch at some friend's house he was asked to give the prayer and off he went......it was like the watchtower study! Anyway after the first 3 minutes the family dog, which had stationed himself under the dining room table, started to yawn. Then the dog became impatient and started to whine. He made the circuit and put his head in every ones lap (under the table) begging for relief from the droning prayers of this pious, look at ME.....self important brother. Once someone started to laugh the entire table started to laugh. The Circuit Servant was really pissed off......... I know it ruined his day. I think that day God laughed as well. Long prayers, as if god, who was probably dealing with those pesky black holes, gave a damn.......was and probably still is one of the most annoying traits of the self consumed male witness.

• blondie
    blondie

Winner of the LONG, LONG, LONG PRAYER: FRED Franz

We were at a DC once, kids, our mothers tired, frazzled and I kept seeing them look at their watches. When he hit 10 minutes, they gathered up our stuff and walked out to the car.

The prayers that I disliked the most were the ones that were only REVIEWS of the program as if God needed a reminder. We would leave before the closing prayer to get into the car and be on our way before the real rush started. We were not alone; I was surprised who left earlier, and it wasn't the "weak" ones.

I knew a brother who worked nights starting at 10 (count in travel time). If the prayer went past 9:30, he was out the door even if it were the CO. He was only allowed being late 3 times a year or get fired.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit