Racist ideas still present in the org.

by sosoconfused 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Another thread on this board recalled to my mind the various thoughts and ideas in this organization that are still very prevelant among many.

For instance I already mentioned the late 70's to early 80's segregation in the kingdom halls, but in the 90's clear through to now for instance:

At Bethel in the mid 90's if you listened to or were found with RAP music you were GONE, no questions asked. There was even n an awake speaking about how the whole hip-hop culture was to be avoided. THey did mention heavy metal and death metal but not the various forms of "alternative: music that was just as bad. As a matter of fact many at Bethel open had other types of music that had strongly objectionable content but nothing was said.

I personally was pulled aside ain an elevator at Bethel and told by a White older brother that instead of going to the gym to play basketball I should probably spend more time in the library.... this was said to me while Iwas going there with the three white brothers next to me.

There was a brother from Texas also named Victor who walked around witha confederate flag bandana in his back pocket... and no one ever said anything to him about it.

I also remember the ongoing joke in the Bethel locker rooms at 25 and 30 building abount all the "reggins" hogging the court. Although that was onec addressed by my overseer.

The latest item I recall though is that at a congregation international night we had with our Circuit overseer present we had Mexican friends dressed in thier native garb and had native foods. Some of the white friends in Dutch or Irish items with such foods and everything was lovely.

However one of the Black Brothers from the south just dressed in jeans performed some "spoken word" type poetry and the C.O. had the elders stop the brother and told him that there was to be no "rap" music and that somethings in our culture just aren't positive and should not be put on display.

Not that this is an exhaustive list - but it just reminds me of just a number of the clues that led me to see that this organization is truly not spirit directed at all.

**** me rambling I am sure :(*********

• humbled
    humbled

It is hard for me to think of Malawi and not wonder "Why.........?"

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

i personally only hung out with the blacks and mexicans

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

@?evrything

While at Bethel I loved going to the Latin Brothers parties because it was the only way I could dance close with a woman and possibly have her breasts brush up against me and not get disfellowshipped ROFL

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We experienced it here too in the U.K At the South London D.C's the audience was, and still is I guess, in the majority made up of Black Bros and Sisters, reflecting the area population.

But for decades it was only White guys who got on the platform. Gradually they introduced a few token darker faces in minor roles, and then eventually had black Elders doing (some) major parts, but for years the overt racism was obvious, and remarked upon by many.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew white jws that would not go into prominently black territories, even cancelling out of a group after finding out where they were assigned.

Being told not to date a black brother because his intelligence was not equal to mine.

The annual talks by a very black, black brother about how the paler black brothers felt they were better.

When sending two brothers door to door in the evening, sending 2 black brothers in black territories (thought 2 white bros were FBI, etc) and sending 2 white brothers together in fancy white territories.

Annual camping trip only for black jws and children, white sisters with black husbands or single white sisters with 1/2 black children.

Until a black elder moved into the congregation, white jws thought all black jws were unmarried women with children.

• jam
    jam

Two incidences that stand out my years in the borg.

Both took place while I was serving where the need is great.

The first one, Circuit Overseer visit. Lunch in our home. The wife

left a Ebony Magazine on the kitchen table, he saw it and toss it

aside and told me that,s not an appropriate material for a JW.

I thought, if I had an edition from Louis Farrakhan, yes that would

be inappropriate, but the wife got tips on hair product and makeup tips.LOL

The second, an American Indian Elder( from another cong.) and I visiting a brother on his

farm (white). Don,t recall how the heated conversation begain, but

Native Americans brother became very upset with the white brother.

Wow he was mad, it was if he was holding the white brother responsible

for the mistreatment of our Native Americans. That was wrong, out of place.

The white brother and I was very close, It was shocking.

Later talking to the Native Americans brother, there was or still a lot rage

among Native Americans. These events took place over 30 years ago.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm not surprised by any of it.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Like mrsjones5, I am not surprised by the experiences others have related here. I saw the same thing while living in the Deep South. There was not just the black/white issue, but as has been noted, even among black Witnesses color mattered. Those who were lighter in color discriminated against and were discriminated against by those who were darker. That is a legacy handed down from the days of slavery in the United States and sadly still exists.

Being black myself, I know that many white Witnesses felt intimidated around me. I was the complete opposite of what they expected and may very well have wanted me to be. I was educated, well-traveled, a voracious reader and accomplished writer, not interested in playing football or basketball, was articulate, the best public speaker in the congregation, and spoke my mind. I still believe this played a big role in my never being appointed a ministerial servant let alone an elder. I did serve as a pioneer, however, and enjoyed that for two years before stepping down.

As for racism being tolerated and practiced at world headquarters, I have heard that for years. It goes all the way back to Russell’s day. People of color were not wanted at either the Pittsburgh or Brooklyn establishments. Some were invited in the latter part of Rutherford’s reign, but were always assigned to menial positions. Knorr was more liberal in that respect, but again, men of color were seldom used in high profile positions or entrusted with important responsibilities.

Sam Herd’s elevation to the Governing Body was a complete surprise to me and I still wonder how he managed it. As it is, no other men of color have been elected and I don’t expect that to change. And don’t even get me started on the intense misogyny and racism the ruling elite has toward women of color.

Quendi

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

@Quendi

Sam Herd was there when I was there and I hate to say this but he went OUT OF HIS WAY to ensure that no one would think he was black. I am black as well, and I remember he had this way about him that he purposely made you think he had no association or desire to get to know you.

I had an assistant overseer there named Carlos West, he was a black brother who was the assistant overseer of the 25& 30 cleaning crew. He later went on to the Writing Department believe it or not. Anyway, on my 6 month review he told me that one of the things I needed to work on in order to be able to pass my 10 month review was stop being so "ethnic"... all the hey bros and whats ups will get you a trip home. Pathetic...

Funny thing is my best friend at bethel was a white guy from OHIO LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit