Racist ideas still present in the org.

by sosoconfused 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

At the time I lived in Samson county North Carolina

• cha ching
    cha ching

I was surprised to learn (when a couple from the west coast moved to the south to serve where the need was greater) that the congregation in the south had separation in the K Hall... Blacks on one side, white, the other. This was 15? years ago... This couple didn't notice right away, went out in service w/blacks, riled things up, and changed the way things were done... innocently. I was raised a JW and thought all JWs were not prejudiced to each other. I wasn't. I was surprised, and it was a shake up for me that it could still be happening, even in that "modern world," let alone be it a "JW world."

• wasblind
    wasblind

However one of the Black Brothers from the south just dressed in jeans performed some "spoken word" type poetry and the C.O. had the elders stop the brother and told him that there was to be no "rap" music and that somethings in our culture just aren't positive and should not be put on display.____Sosoconfused

In order for the Southern slave master to justify the profitable business of slavery

in the New World, The so called christians threw their religious beliefs in the mix

to ease their conscience , and forced thier beliefs on the African slave

They assumed that they did the African a favor takin' him from his " Unchristian "

environment because it made " God Sad " to see such

To the slave master, the ways of the African was not somethin' that was positive

and likewise should not be put on display in this new land

• Giordano
    Giordano

My old congregation (late 1950's) was in New Rochelle New York. It was easily half black. Mostly women even so we had no black servants in that congregation in the 7 or 8 years I attended. Every visiting Bethel brother (we were an hour away by train) was white.

Right before I went to pioneer in a rural area it was decided to build a kingdom hall. So they bought a building lot in Scarsdale, no bus line avaliable, very expensive to use a cab service. I am still troubled by that decision. It was very obvious and certainly not loving.

• wasblind
    wasblind

The two most prevalent racist " ideas " still harbored by the WTS today

Is the right to vote, and thier stance on education

In slavery times , It was against the law for slaves to be educated

and they had no voice through a vote.

Two years after slavery ended, the slaves, for the first time could excercise the right to vote

and could become educated

Until what was to become Jim Crow reared it's ugly head and once again stripped away thier rights

It wasn't until almost 100 years later African Americans in the former slave states were able to regain these rights

that the WTS still discourages them to use today

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit