Is this true? Don't Call 911 If The Guy In The Next Seat Falls Ill at The DC?

by Room 215 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

onsite first aid staff is well qualified to deal with emergency and even life or death situations by the bigger numbers filled out on a cheap grayish lined piece of paper by the 5th day of the new month so reports get sent quickly to WT HQ.....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I told this in a thread 4 years ago. http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/175178/1/Did-you-Observe-Medical-Emergencies-Occur-While-Meetings-Continued-On

I was an attendant at an Assembly Hall and the First Aid Dept. had a highly qualified Registered Nurse, a female RN.
    A lady was "a study," a potential convert and I had to rush her into First Aid because she collapsed in the corridor. We put her on oxygen and the nurse checked her vitals. She had some kind of heart emergency. The RN said the lady needed an ambulance and told the brothers to call 911.

The brother-in-charge (I forget what title he had, but he was in charge at the assembly hall) said that a brother would have to decide that and he was going to find the brother in charge of the First Aid Dept. I told him to call 911 right now or else I would just call on my cell phone. I told him I was a "brother" and I concurred with the RN that this lady needed immediate emergency care- "Put my name down as the qualified First Aid brother that insisted on calling 911." He backed down and called and an ambulance was dispatched. The brother-in-charge wanted us to put her in a chair at the entrance and meet the ambulance. The RN and I refused and said to send the paramedics to First Aid.

You could tell that the brother-in-charge had one of those brain-stall moments. Looking back, I know what the brain-stall was about.
    He didn't want people to see a stretcher and emergency equipment coming into the Assembly Hall, but didn't want to argue with us, and get the Assembly Hall into a lawsuit later. He did insist on getting my full name and information to put on some sheet as the decision maker, despite the fact that a much more qualifed RN had made the decisions.

I was just amazed that he could so dismiss a "sister" despite her advanced training and try to go by some PENIS-IN-CHARGE rules. If I hadn't been there, the lady could possibly have died waiting for them to find this brother in charge of First Aid.

I want to add that after I knew the ambulance was on the way, I asked the lady where the people she was with were sitting. She gave me a general area and I said I would find them. The brother-in-charge asked how I would do that during the program. I said I would simply go and ask people in that section if they knew "Jane Smith." The brother-in-charge said I would disrupt the program. I told him it would be fine and ignored him. I had to only ask about 10 people or less before I found her friends and they made it back to see her off in the ambulance.

• falseprophet
    falseprophet

Some countries have laws that mean some paramedics and ambulances have to be on site.

The theory is:

1. You tell the attendant about the situation.
    2. He calls First Aid.
    3. First Aid decide if the on-site paramedics are available (fastest method) or if 911 should be called if the on-site paramedics are busy (slower method).
  • AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

he emphasized that there needed to be an organized procedure so as not to dishonor Jehovah's name...

-----

Maybe just for conventions JWs can change their names to "Ba'al's Witnesses".

That way 911 calls can be made without fear of bringing dishonor on Jehovah.

• sir82
    sir82

The Society has utter contempt for the intelligence of the rank & file.

Here's the real reason:

The Society is afaid that Joe Publisher is too stupid to realize when Brother Big Mac has had a heart attack, or has just fallen asleep and is snoring loudly.

If 30 brothers see Brother Big Mac slumped in his seat making gurgling noises, they fear all 30 will call 911. 30 (well, more than 1 anyway) ambulances will be dispatched, and all will go away "empty handed".

If this repeats several times over the course of an assembly, the Society will be charged for the "false alarms".

In the Socety's view: Better to lose 1 or 2 brothers to a preventable death, rather than pay thousands of dollars in fees to municpalities for multiple false alarms.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

If this repeats several times over the course of an assembly, the Society will be charged for the "false alarms".

---

At the core of it, sir82, this probably is THE only factor of importance.

Better a live un-paid false alarm than a dead JW.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

In theory this is the way it works...

1) Someone falls or has a heart-attack, or other emergency

2) Jw should notify the attendant in their section. ( Have you ever tried this? If someone spills a soda it takes at least ten minutes to get it cleaned up, half of that time is finding the attendant and the subsequent communication that takes place.)

3) Theocratic order steps in and handles the situation. 911 is called by the proper channel. Jehovah's name is not besmirched by JW's clogging up the emergency services phone lines.

Things are supposed to take place in an orderly fashion without sheeple freaking out. If you have ever volunteered at a DC, you know that it is impossible for people who have been trained their whole lives not to think, to start doing so in an emergency situation. That is why those in charge are slightly smarter than the average dub. If I saw someone having a seizure or heart-attack, I would call 911 and then tell the attendant that I already called. Seconds count in an emergency.

If the Org really cares about the sheeple, why not have an Ambulance on site throughout the entire DC? You can do that, right? They could afford it.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Today everyone owns a cell phone and I am pretty sure 911 attendants are accustomed to receive and handle multiple calls for the same event...the Boston bombing must have genetated thousands of calls...so what's a few calls from an assembly hall going to change? As many said, every second counts for victims of heart attacks...except maybe for those who have resurrection as a back up...

• jws
    jws

Last summer I went to a DC just out of curiosity to have a look around anonymously. On my way out, somebody had collapsed in the parking garage. I wonder what happened? As there was probably not an attendant out there. They had left the convention center. Nevertheless, an ambulance was there.

I agree with the last poster. These days cell phones are prevalent. Whenever something happens in a high population area, you are going to get multiple calls. This can be for traffic accidencts, medical emergencies, etc. The 911 team isn't going to dispatch 30 rescue vehicles to the same address.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Today everyone owns a cell phone and I am pretty sure 911 attendants are accustomed to receive and handle multiple calls for the same event

Yup. About ten years ago my neighbors house caught fire. I heard her and the kids yelling, figured out what was going on and called 911. As soon as I said "my neighbors house is on fire" the operator said "if that's at xxxx y street we already have it." As soon as you start talking they start typing into the computer system and all the other operators can see what's going on.

WT policy on this is idiotic and will kill somebody, if it hasn't already.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit