2034 is going to be a huge letdown for the dubs

by wha happened? 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

They would need to drop the "overlapping generation" teaching before they replace it with the Noah's flood generation. It wouldn't add up since Jesus spoke of a single generation but hell, nothing adds up in JWdom.

I think that those who believe the Watchtower will implode completely are a little optimistic. They may lose a lot of members like in Rutherford's day but they came out of that stronger.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    They would need to drop the "overlapping generation" teaching before they replace it with the Noah's flood generation.

I don't think so...they're all about "multiple lines of evidence" that point to the inexorable conclusion that the end of this system is going to come before xyz.

I do tend to agree on your second point - I think they almost need to have another great disappointment ala 1914 or 1975. That would allow them to shed the dead weight, monetize the newly empty KHs, and anyone who's currently on the fence but decides to stick around would have no choice but to double-down. I think the 1975 fiasco is a large part of why the current generation of JWs is so much more complacent than the previous one that lived through 1975. In order to stick around after they were exposed as false prophets, they had to really internalize the doctrine and convince themselves that they were more sure than ever before. Today's generation is able to just float along because they haven't made nearly as bold a (false) prediction since.

• Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

I think the 'overlapping generation' teaching may fit perfectly with the year 2034...

As an example, let's use Fred Franz as the 'first generation'. Born in 1893, he was baptized around 1913-14 and since everyone back then was anointed he fits into the 'first generation'. He died in 1992.

The 'second generation' would have to include those who were anointed before 1992. Post 1935, I don't know of many who realized they were anointed at a young age so you would need to assume that the second generation would have been around 40 years old in 1992. Fast forward to 2034... the second generation would be 82.

So the 120 years Noah teaching and the overlapping generation teaching both seem to point to the same time. Sounds like a conspiracy.

• suavojr
    suavojr
    Nice observation Heisenberg
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I can't imagine 2034 or 2039 being mentioned for many years. The message is NOW!

Armageddon or the Great Tribulation is VERY VERY IMMINENT......SOON....VERY VERY SOON. NOT 20 years in the future.

Doc

• BU2B
    BU2B

Data Dog, they might see your post and copy and paste it! They are just that lazy.

I dont think they want to highlight 2034 just yet because that would give JWs an excuse to slack off for a few years in the meantime, even enjoy the debauchery of the world for a few years and then return. They must maintain a constant fear that the end can come anytime. As the year approaches they may hype it up to eke a little more out of whatever masochists are left in the fold.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

wha happened? - "2034 is going to be a huge letdown for the dubs."

Ehh, maybe not so much.

Lot of people said that about 2014, after all.

• prologos
    prologos

The two overlapping groups in one anointed generation can actually stretch to 2075, another target date. remember: "it will not be late!" ha ha. and

the 100st anniversary of the appointment of the FDS: 2019!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

joliette - "I wonder what they'll be preaching in 2034."

That the loss of tax-exempt status, heavy fines and prison sentences, and increasingly batshit-crazy membership are all "signs of Jehovah's backing"?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Ehh, maybe not so much.

Lot of people said that about 2014, after all.

Well it may not be significant to everyone else, but I'm here partially because of 2014 rolling around...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit