2034 is going to be a huge letdown for the dubs

by wha happened? 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• zound
    zound

GB 2.0 were probably pissed at GB 1.0 for setting an end date that would fall in GB 2.0's reigning period. They've passed on the problem to GB 3.0, who will in turn pass it on to GB 4.0 and on and on it goes.

They still want a close enough carrot on a stick to keep the rank and file malluable - but want it far enough away so they will be dead by the time the org needs another date shift. They just want a quiet and comfortable run in their old age.

• jws
    jws

An ex-JW friend of mine (still very religious) told me that same thing about God setting an age limit of 120. Except that the oldest verified human on record lived to be 122. Ooops. And even after God declared it, people lived beyond 120 in the bible.

But there is that other view as yknot pointed out. That this was supposedly said 120 years before the flood.

Fiction either way.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

@DATA DOG

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

We all know 1914 will be footnote in 30 years time, unknown to so many in the same manner as 1925

----

Ask any newly baptized JW about the year 1914. All you'll get in response is a deer-in-the-headlights look. They might know that date but can't tell you a thing about why it's significant.

It won't take 30 years for 1914 to have no significance- it's already happening.

Most JWs don't know about 1925.

Most newbies probably can't tell you about 1975- other than apostates claim the WT pointed to that year as likely for Armageddon. Long-time JWs don't believe the WTS said much, if anything, about 1975, either. Cognitive dissonance to the rescue.

JWs are "happified" that their only requirement to please god is to do what the GB says. So much easier than thinking.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I forget whether it was the dec 2003 or 204 WT that 1st promoted 2034 as an end date. My jaw dropped when I 1st read it and I was even more stunned that most of the folk in the hall didn't appreciate what they were doiong SMDH!

• Quendi
    Quendi

I loved the excerpt from the faux 2026 Proclaimers book which DATA-DOG gave us. That is exactly how the organization would spin it. “Coronation ceremony” indeed! The Governing Body will say and do anything to maintain their hold on the rank-and-file. AndDontCallMeShirley also hit the nail on the head about 1925 and 1975. Very, very few Witnesses know anything about the frenzy surrounding those two years. I remember the 1975 run up and how the WTS took no responsibility for that false alarm. Many of us veterans simply buried our disappointment and never talked about it to either newer people who came in afterwards or the children and grandchildren who have been born since. Small wonder that very few in the organization talk about those false prophecies now. But I have the feeling that even if they did, it would have little impact. This cult’s control is just that strong.

Quendi

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

The WBTS decision makers and writing staff before 1990 held on to the 'biblical chronology' of Russell and F. Franz. Those that came after 1990 realized that it was a real problem. They didn't change the dates. They just changed the understanding. Since then the proof of the 'end times' by dating has been backgrounded (ignored) in favor of fear mongering, guilt, intellectual isolationism and the control of the individual.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

I look back and laugh at the WT "language" like "understanding"

"New understanding" " New Light"

What a pitiful excuse for false doctrine.

You spell something out in concrete unmistakeable terms,

saying people of an "age of understanding in 1914" would

definitely, without a doubt, see Armaggedon, and threaten

anyone who disagrees and later when it all proves to be untrue,

never apologize, never make any reparations and blame it all

on "misunderstanding" not the fault of the Society who wrote

hundreds of books and thousands of Watchtowers,for decades,

detailing in minute exhaustive detail this very doctrine. Then

when it proves tro be absolutely false, never admitting

to the mistake and false doctrine it really was,

instead you blame it on those you led around by the throat

and whose lives you wasted , that is the ongoing

methodology of the Watchtower.

• flipper
    flipper

The WT Society has already preached this " end of the world " crap for 134 years now since 1879. By 2034 it will be 155 years they've been preaching this BS. I hope to hell that many people have escaped this mind controlling scam of a cult by then- but I'm not betting the ranch on it. The organization will still have it's fanatic members most probably. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I'll be 80 years old in 2034. I hope I can pee on my own instead of worrying about what the Wt has to say. Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit