missing the JWD glory days

by fresh prince of ohio 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So it was "the glory days" until I got here?

Personally, I thought that last year was plenty exciting here on JWD.

• talesin
    talesin

@ Billy

Nah, I think that the OP (Miz? is that you?) is just waxing nostalgic.

xo

tal

• Este
    Este

When I begin to post here, I was dumbfounded as to the hatred of Jehovah's Witnesses that I saw. Now it seems that there is a hatred for anyone that believes in GOD.......I am shocked and appalled.....

E. aka Brownboy

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

@ tal

Maybe this is a reference to the era of Trevorgate. (Now I hope that some misfortune doesn't befall me for mentioning that name.) I arrived at the board shortly after that all happened.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Sparlock was 2012 and that was glorious.

• talesin
    talesin

Billy,

Just heading off to sleep and saw this ... if you look back, you'll see (before Trevor-gate, which I missed) ,,, many spirited debates,,, people did not call names like Moronic and such.. they were clever, and lol, it was real debating! That's what the OP made me think of. All this BS arguing about atheism vs Xtianity was a nonissue ............ the JWS was the issue! It was also a time of exJWs learning that homophobia was wrong ... oh, and Farkel's many enlightening essays, and funny sarcasms from he and Hillary_Step ... and others ......... it was not *better*,,, just different.

I hope you are still having fun at school ... math geek myself, so Engineering would be a blast!

xo

tal

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Those early days were very special, I spent days reading old posts when I first discovered this place. Yes it is special now too, in its present day condition, but it is different.

I think part of the reason is that the WT control is now so rigid we rarely get anything close to a proper JW Apologist to debate with.

The other thing is that all the arguments have been covered on here, and we have distilled answers down to a succinct comment or two, which is all that is needed to demolish a JW defender of any quality, so long debates are rare.

I do think another element is what an active JW Elder said to me a while ago "All the good people have left", by "good" he meant those who had a conscience of their own, not a WT "conscience", and a degree of independent thought, as he has, he is only still in because of his huge extended JW family.

The true intellectuals of the JW's, like our very own, revered Leolaia,for example. (who is absent from here at present), they all left years ago.

• steve2
    steve2

Este, God is fine. Posters do have an issue with you though. You have the virtue of eliciting responses from other posters, so you help keep things lively. I've been here since late 2005 and I've found a surer and more personally "owned" point of view...I think this forum has changed for the better. It is more inclusive with a healthy recognition that it takes all sorts to make something work. Oh, one thing I've noticed is that fervent, in-your- face religionists don't do so well on this forum. They show a singular lack of empathy and know very little about effective communication. If I were Jesus Christ, I'd be dismayed at the simplistic trollop that is often spouted in My name on this forum. I'd expect more from My believers. But I am just Steve2, ex-JW and appreciating the vigorous diversity on this forum, believers, unbelievers and in-betweeners.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Find some of your favorite threads and bump them to the top.

I remember, back in the day....Those were the days my friend,.....

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

The true intellectuals of the JW's, like our very own, revered Leolaia ,for example. (who is absent from here at present), they all left years ago.

Here's my all-time favorite of hers. Genius!!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/99142/1/Watchtower-History-in-Haiku

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit