Bible Writers not just ignorant "goat herders"

by applehippie 87 Replies latest watchtower bible

• applehippie
    applehippie

Really, the Bible was written by nothin' but goat herders? I don't post much but this does irk me. Yes a few may have been shepherds or fisherman, but a fair amount were far more educated and were professionals in their fields of occupation. Just take Moses or Daniel for instance. How about Luke or Paul?

And just because some were shepherds does not make them dumb ignorant peasants scratching out a living in some God Awful armpit of civilization. Try reading about eastern civilization- how much literature exists from thousands of years ago. Math, science, poetry and prose etc. I read "When Asia was the World" and it was fascinating. These people routinely made journeys of thousands of miles for trade, treaties, discovery, and education.

Abraham was a guest of kings and pharoahs- he was no dummy. He was a very wealthy man with many servants and people traveling with him. He knew how to act in the palace.

Describing the writers with a derogatory term is just ignorant and offensive.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm sure Abraham's feelings weren't hurt. He's dead, if he ever existed at all.

• applehippie
    applehippie

OK, but I was more or less commenting on a culture and time we are not familiar with. Those people were a lot smarter and more cultured than we give them credit for. Their lifestyle was not that primitive. The attitude I was speaking to is that of judging a time and people by our standards of living.

And it's a good excuse for not having to listen to what the writers of the Bible said, isn't it?

• Comatose
    Comatose

Well one of them sat in the dirt and cooked his food over poop for decades. I don't know if he was a shepherd but that's pretty ignorant.

• Mum
    Mum

For the time they lived in, they were experienced, well traveled and well educated. But they knew nothing of astronomy and a lot of other subjects. Galileo was persecuted by the church because he realized that the earth was not the center of the universe. Smart as they were, they were ignorant by the standards of today. There wasn't even a scientific method to test hypotheses.

• applehippie
    applehippie

Do your homework- Still being used today for good reasons:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8274906_use-manure-fuel.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_animal_dung_fuel

Why it is used and benefits

The M.N. Yavari, of Peru built by Thames Iron Works, London in 1861-62 had a Watt steam engine (powered by dried lama dung) until 1914

Dry animal dung is:

• Cheaper than most modern fuels
    • Efficient
    • Alleviates local pressure on wood resources
    • Readily available - short the walking time required to collect fuel
    • No cash outlays necessary for purchase (can be exchanged for other products)
    • Less environmental pollution
    • Safer disposal of animal dung
    • Sustainable and renewable energy source
  • talesin
    talesin

I agree that we have a very arrogant attitude sometimes about how 'civilized' we are ... the way we treat our children, our poor, and our animals proves that we in the 'west' are truly savages ........

On the other hand, I don't see the Bible as an accurate account of history. Funny, I just had a discussion with a friend about this last night. He is a person of faith, and asked me "don't you think the Bible is a true account?" Well, no, I don't believe ppl lived till almost 1,000 years, do you think that makes any sense? "no" ... How about the global flood and ark story? "no" .... And Jonah? "no"

True, there may be some historically accurate accounts in the Bible, but then, it's history. I dunno, for example, *were* the Jews actually slaves in Egypt? I dunno, I am not an ancient history major. Most of 'history' is revisionist, anyways. We kinda agreed on that.

xo

tal

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

interesting

• Este
    Este

Abraham was a guest of kings and pharoahs- he was no dummy. He was a very wealthy man with many servants and people traveling with him. He knew how to act in the palace.

What, you think you need to be wealthy in order to have a degree of credibility? Was Jesus wealthy? So why should we even listen to you, are you wealthy?

E.

• Este
    Este

True, there may be some historically accurate accounts in the Bible, but then, it's history. I dunno, for example, *were* the Jews actually slaves in Egypt? I dunno, I am not an ancient history major. Most of 'history' is revisionist, anyways. We kinda agreed on that.

Here is one of many sites on proving that biblical places actually existed....

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit