Drinking at meetings / assemblies / conventions ... who's done it?

by HarryMac 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

In the good old days when there was food service at conventions even beer was offered. Light yes but with alcohol in it. So yes, have been drinking at convention without need to hide it.

CP

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Wow.

That was before my time. Never even heard of this mentioned.

Respectfully, just how old are these days?

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

It was the happy seventies

CP

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

haha, yeah, I came in as a youngster in '85'ish. Your ways were old light.

That's awesome. I can just see inappropriate groping of the sundresses blamed on the menu! Not to mention the 70's were just overall sleazy to begin with. Cool beans.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I went to a DC in Germany in 1981. Many of the JW's sat in front of the stadium at picnic tables, drinking beer openly. I was in awe and wanted to have one too, but my aunt wouldn't let me. Dang. In 2001, went back to Germany, and the sisters were wearing pants out in service, in the middle of the summer. I was soooo jealous.

• tiki
    tiki

i was in a cong that was comprised of a lot of ex-druggies with alcohol probs - and they were all sooooooooo super sensitive to being stumbled. Some wouldn't even go into the home of a bro/sis who had beer/wine/booze of any sort - not that they'd offer it to the person - just the fact that it was THERE. and we had a bunch of suspicious minds who literally went around sniffing breath before meetings to see if they could find someone to torture. so - meeting nights, water only.

however - we were notorious for going out to lunch when at assemblies or conventions - and we'd have a drink, yes....then go back and have to fight not falling asleep throughout the boring afternoon. if anyone said anything to my hubby, he was/is ballsy - and he'd tell them where to put it. i really don't think anyone ever did take it up with him....he wasn't the sort to take any bs.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Clearpoison I dont even remember beer served at assemblies and I attended assemblies since early 50's. where, when? just interested

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

i actually ate a budd-brownie at a DC once. definitely the best DC I ever attended!

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

The last month I was attending I packed a 1/2 pint of vodka and would take nips in the bathroom. It was the only way to be there and not be there at the same time.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I've never had a drink inside the hall, but during conventions we used to go out for lunch and enjoy multiple beers, then come back to the conventions with a buzz.

But the best was these two friends i had in another hall. Both of them baptized, and both of them used to walk outside during the meetings, and go to this nook outside the hall by the air conditioner unit and smoke. Then after they smoked, simply come back inside. Never got caught.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit