con artist JW

by outsmartthesystem 15 Replies latest jw friends

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

So my good ol soon to be ex father in law told me a few years ago (before I had told him of my horrible apostate ideas) about a "client" of his. My FIL used to be involved in the insurance/finance industries. He had a lady client that was about 20 years older than him. He took care of her estate planning (not a huge estate......but definitely has some $ in it), insurance, finances etc etc) Now this woman is in her 80's. He has always been there to take care of her. He has done some construction/repair projects at her house (at a discounted "rate"). He has helped clean up her house (she is a packrat). He has taken her to hospital/doctor appts. Etc. Etc. He always came across as though he was 1) doing it to show "Christian love" and 2) because her children supposedly didn't care about her and wouldn't help her. Well.....a few years ago he made the mistake of telling me that he succeeded in convincing her to make her entire will out to HIM! He even laughed when he said "boy are her children going to be upset!"

At the time, I wanted to believe that she did this on her own accord and that he really took care of her out of a Christian duty to do so. But I am awake now. I now believe that he has love bombed her for years......going above and beyond what a typical family member would do so as to theoretically say "look who TRULY loves you! I AM your real family". I believe he has been holding her hand as she gets older and older for the MAIN (not sole) purpose of conning her. And now that he has succeeded, and now that she is getting up in age.....he is just going to bide his time and wait for her to die and then reap the rewards of his hard work.

I know I haven't given a lot of details, but what do you think? If you were me would you find a way to contact this woman's children to let them know of what has happened? If so.......how does a person go about doing that?

• Comatose
    Comatose

Yeah I would try to do something. As a Christian her thanks should be enough for him.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

If he is truly that devious I would be concerned for her safety.

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

Rememer the scripture that says something about taking your complaint to your brother first? Well, what about making him squirm and refresh his memory about what you know. Just a thought.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I am of a differing view. Obviously the woman's family has NOT been there to assist, but he has, regardless of his motives. If her children WERE involved with her it would be.less likely, but not impossible for a swindler to come along. But, he has been a part of her life for 20 years.

When she passes, her children will come out of the woodwork looking for their share of her estate.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

RVW - This I cannot say for sure. The story HE tells is that they haven't been there for her. And he (living 5 minutes away) jumped at every opportunity. This in and of itself can create the illusion that because someone lives farther away or doesn't act as quickly (as in a love bombing situation)........then they haven't been there for you. Tis the point of love bombing. Make the person think that this illusion you are showing them is what TRUE love is........and that person will quickly condemn their former friends and family for not being good enough

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Rip makes a good point. All of the things that you say he does for her, are things her family should be doing. Why haven't they? I think you need to know the answer to that before you do anything. If it is because your ex-fil insists that he wants to do it and tells her don't bother the kids, that is one thing. But why aren't they checking on Mom? If her family were told of this, would they just put her in a nursing home, take control of her assests and leave her alone as it appears they have done? I think you need more of the story.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Regardless of his motives, he paid for his request and she could have said NO.

To me, it's a bit underhanded, but still ........a WIN-WIN.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

There are a lot of JW con artists and it seems to me that your soon to be xfil it taking advantage of a situation that borders on "nasty". Around 2000, at the KH I went to, an older sister who thought the world of me and another bro (we both left our lifetime KH's because we were fed up and went to this KH) because we were the same ethnic background came to both of us and told us that the PO wanted her to sign her beautiful ranch home over to him because she was being hospitalized so much. He already had his own home but still wanted hers. We told her not to do it. Shortly after, I started fading even more than I did starting in 1998-99. The sister died not long after and I think her house went to a worldy relative. I'm glad the PO didn't get it.

HappyDad

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

On The Way Out...."She could have said, No".

Through life's experiences...evil people have intentionally beaten down on nice normal people, sometimes to the point, that if they say "no" they know they will be shouted down or hit, so in time, when a decision needs to be made, people who have been "taught" obedience through abuse become numb, retreat and accept life as it comes.

Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit