Do any of you know of a religion that does not believe in the Trinoity?

by orbison11 40 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

A good friend of mine, and ex-JW himself, ran across The Way Ministries after leaving the JWs. I think one thing that attracted him was that they did not believe in Trinity. After exiting the JWs, some of us know they as an organization are wrong, but still we believe some of what we were taught.

I don't know whether they're still around. There was some scandal or something involving their leader a few years back. I know my friend has a sort of "church" with ex-members meeting in homes and one of them serves a role as pastor.

• Emery
    Emery

Mormons.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I'm pretty sure anyone of polytheistic beliefs doesn't believe in it (eg Wiccan, Hindu).

• blondie
  • Terry
    Terry

Personally I don't see WHAT DIFFERENCE IT MAKES if we........."understand".......the Supreme Being or not.

In fact, how can we expect to?

Seems a bit egotistical to make a science out of our own ignorance and confusion!

• Londo111
    Londo111

I don't know anyone who believes in the Trinoity. :)

The denomination I attend, Disciples of Christ, there is no set creed. There are those who believe in the Trinity and those who don't. Nobody divides off or gets in a huff over the issue. A lady conducting the Sunday School, sort of like a book study, said, "I don't understand when people say Jesus is God. I believe God is God and Jesus is His Son."

I don't think it's such a big deal. Personally, I've slowly concluded that if one goes by what is written in Scripture alone, the Trinity or "tri-unity" is an inevitable conclusion. I think much of it has to do that the Watchtower's arguements are geared mostly toward defeating the idea of modalism, not the Trinity. Modalism teaches that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three modes of one person. Trinitarians disagree (at least, those who understand their own doctrine).

It might surprise many JWs to hear that Trinitarians believe the Son is a distinct person from the Father, and wholeheartedly agree that the Father is greater than the Son. However, Trinitarians believe that the Father and Son are equal in nature. To illustrate, take the example of a human family. When a human son turns 18, he is legally an adult. He has equal rights in terms of his humanity. He has an equal nature with his human father. However, as long as the son lives under his father's roof, the father is greater, he has precedent.

While there are ascepts of the Trinity that go beyond human experience, I believe there is much common ground when Trinitarians and non-Trinitarians sit down and talk with one another.

Unfortunately, the Watchtower has made the Trinity doctrinal enemy #1. This has prevented those who leave the Watchtower system from exploring a group that might teach the Trinity or might have it in their official teachings.

“Apostates” are accused of causing divisions, however, it is the Watchtower that has divided off from other Christian groups, and divide off anyone in their number who does not adhere to every unique doctrine they espouse. When we are liberating ourselves from that background, we have to fight the tendency to divide off from people just because they disagree on certain points of doctrine.

• tec
    tec

There are a few, and I think they've all been listed above (though I am pretty sure that the Mormons believe in the trinity). I searched for them myself, when I first left the jws.

But is that important? Does it matter what other religions do or do not believe, or teach? Or does it matter only what Christ teaches, since we are to listen to Him?

Seek Christ first, follow Him... then let Him take care of the rest. Everything else can serve as a 'distraction' from Him. So that one is looking at something else, other than Him.

I cannot accept the trinity either. It is not what He taught, or teaches me now through the Spirit. So no matter how many people accept it (or don't accept it for that matter), I am only concerned with what Christ teaches. Nothing and no one else is the Truth, Image, or Word of God.

Peace to you,

tammy

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have been attending the United Church of Christ. They have no set doctrine, therefor do not teach the trinity. They use an altered version off a traditional church hymn, I think is called "The trinity song" the one that starts " holy, holy, holy" the tradition version ends " God in three persons, blessed trinity" their version ends " Chreator, Christ and spirit, one". I have only been attending a short while so I don't know that much about the church, but I think individual churches can teach the trinity, they give a lot of leeway to the local congregations, I think they can choose to use the traditional version of the song.

From their web site

We believe the UCC is called to be a united and uniting church . "That they may all be one." (John 17:21) "In essentials–unity, in nonessentials–diversity, in all things–charity," These UCC mottos survive because they touch core values deep within us. The UCC has no rigid formulation of doctrine or attachment to creeds or structures. Its overarching creed is love. UCC pastors and teachers are known for their commitment to excellence in theological preparation, interpretation of the scripture and justice advocacy. Even so, love and unity in the midst of our diversity are our greatest assets.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Knowing what is true or not.

Let's start with observation. We can reasonably trust our senses, and find patterns in experience. These sorts of things reconfirm themselves regularly.

I also trust the results of scientific investigation, due to the rigors used in setting up the experiment, and tests for repeatability. These are also dependent on what can be seen, measured.

What about the matters of the spirit realm? You can again depend on your personal experience, but it is not repeatable. That is, no-one can confirm your experience. There are no observations to measure, so no scientific tests for provability.

What about what is written in books, the bible? This is the least reliable, and heavily dependent on interpretation. You can twist yourself in knots trying to discern what is "reliable" or not. In debates, the most skillful orator may win the day, but what have they really proven? I often use the illustration of the blind men and the elephant.

Blind men and the elephant

Everyone "knows" a part, and no-one "knows" the whole.

What does it profit someone to have solidly concluded the full nature of God, to the exclusion of everyone else? They are gods in their own mind and fools for thinking they have nailed God down.

Far better to admit that this is an unanswerable.

• blondie
    blondie
    Nature of God and humanity

Main article: God in Mormonism

In traditional Christianity, as expressed for example in the Athanasian Creed, God is conceived both as a unity and a Trinity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are described as three persons of one uncreated divine being, equally infinite, eternal, and unchangeable. [citation needed] Though modern Mormons share with traditional Christianity a belief that the object of their worship comprises three distinct persons who are "co-eternal" in a sense, Mormons disagree that the three persons of their "Godhead" are the same being, that they are infinite, and that they are unchangeable. (The theology of Community of Christ Mormons is very trinitarian in nature, however.)

Mormons are constrained by the language of the Book of Mormon to regard the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as "one", but to Mormons, this "oneness" does not have the same meaning as within traditional Christianity. Modern Mormons regard God as plural. [ 51 ] They regard God the Father as the biblical god Elohim, and they believe that the Son, a distinct being, is both Jesus and the biblical god Jehovah. [ 52 ] The two of them, together with the Holy Spirit, are believed to form a heavenly counsel which Mormons call the "Godhead". They are "one" in the sense of being lovingly united in purpose or will, a view sometimes called social trinitarianism. [ 53 ] Unlike traditional Christians, modern Mormons do not regard the Father and the Son as co-equal; rather, they generally regard the Son as subordinate to the Father. [ 54 ]

Unlike traditional Christianity, Mormons since the 1840s have believed that God is changeable. They believe that the Father (like the Son) was twice "born"—once as a spirit, and again as a mortal man. [ 55 ] After he lived a mortal life, Mormons believe that the Father died, was resurrected, and achieved his godhood [ 56 ] along with at least one wife whom Mormons refer to as the Heavenly Mother. [ 57 ] The Heavenly Father and Mother then gave birth to the spirits of humanity through a sexual union. [ 58 ] Modern Mormons believe that Jesus, the Son, was the first born of these spirits. [ 59 ]

Thus, while Mormons might agree with the statement that the Father and the Son are "uncreated", their understanding of "creation" differs from that of traditional Christianity. Mormons do not believe, as do traditional Christians, that God created the universe ex nihilo (from nothing). [ 60 ] Rather, to Mormons the act of creation is to organize or reorganize pre-existing matter or intelligence. Traditional Christians consider God to be a "necessary being", meaning that he cannot not exist, while all other creations are "contingent beings". In Mormonism, by contrast, every god and human is equally a necessary being. [ 61 ]

The Mormon sense of "eternal" differs from that of traditional Christians, who believe that God's eternal nature exists outside of space and time. Some situate the Mormon God within space and time. [ 62 ] However, Mormon scripture states that "time is measured only unto man." [ 63 ] They believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "co-eternal", but they also believe that all of humanity is "co-eternal" with the Father [ 64 ] in the sense that the underlying spark of all intelligence has always existed (in space and time) and never was created.

Mormons believe that God is scrutable [ 65 ] and anthropomorphic. [ 66 ] In contrast to traditional Christian notions that God is omnipotent and omniscient, modern Mormons regard God as governed by natural law. [ 67 ]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit