Advice on Getting My Novel Published

by Quendi 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

I am currently working on a science-fantasy novel called Magic Squared and would appreciate any advice on how to get it published once it is completed. I've read others' experiences in having their books published and am getting ready to do the same. Thanks in advance.

Quendi

• irondork
    irondork

I hear the wave of the future for up and coming authors is to self-publish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-publishing

• irondork
    irondork

I'm a huge sci-fi fan. I volunteer to proof read it for you.

Was that shameless?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

The easiest way is to self-publish through amazon kindle. The hardest way is to get an agent to read it and then shop it around for you to the major publishers. Whatever you do, edit, edit, edit. Pay someone to edit it professionally and then rework the book as the editor suggests. Lots of amateurish stuff gets published nowadays and it won't sell.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I agree with professional editing. Many people believe they write well and simply don't. I don't like writing but I love the finished project after ten or twelve drafts. Other people can pick up typos and technical things that you can't see. What I did at teh law firm was to read samples of associates' writing to see which ones I loved. I made a list and read their work on a regular basis. They all attended private school.

If you live near a city there may be community courses. I knew many writers in college. There used to be a thick book sold at subway newsstands called the Writers' Digest. They swore by it.

Madeleine L'Engle told me the problems she faced finding a publisher for A Wrinkle in Time. Every publisher rejected it. She stood her ground. I would cave. Finally, Farrer, Strauss, Giroux expressed interest but they could not figure how to market it. The book appears to be young adult on first glance but the lessons are universal. C.S. Lewis' Narnia Chronicles inspired her. She said to market it to everyone. Madeleine became famous, weatlhy, and traveled the world with a State Department program. She volunteered in church work and charged writers money for workshops.

It may be crazy but I still believe it can happen to us. Not caving would be the lesson for me.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Writer's Digest should be available at your local library. Editing and rewriting are crucial. So is knowledgeable criticism. And the ability to hear criticism and benefit from it. I don't think anyone writes well at first; it takes practice and willingness to learn. And good grammar and spelling skills.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

You might want to study Writer's Market first, learn how to write a proposal, and then send a proposal to a bunch of publishers before finishing your novel. They won't read more than one chapter anyway. A well-written proposal shows that you are a professional and know what you are doing.

• JWOP
    JWOP

I publish all of my books through CreateSpace.com

There are no publishing fees, it's easy, and it's quick. You can upload your own book cover and state your own price. It also has a calculator to help you see how much profit you'll get from your asking price (because they DO charge printing fees). CreateSpace makes your book available on Amazon.com within 2 weeks of your final approval. I strongly suggest you edit it well, or get an editor, because once it's up and running, it's difficult to change mistakes.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Quendi, you have an email!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Quendi , sounds great. I don't have any advice, I'm just on the sidelines listening.

JWOP, Have you already started a thread to tell us about your books?

Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit