Advice on Getting My Novel Published

by Quendi 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

I want to thank everyone for their encouragement and suggestions. I appreciate all of them and know that I will greatly benefit. I have some experience as a writer, having produced a column for a local newspaper as well as an in-house publication at one job. But all of that was years ago and that was non-fiction. Fiction is a different beast all together which demands a different perspective.

I once worked at a public library so I am familiar with both Writer’s Digest and Writer’s Market. Both of them are wonderful tools for authors of all kinds. This burgeoning phenomenon of self-publishing is one I find to be the most intriguing. The Internet is making this possible and I want to investigate it more closely.

I want to thank those of you who have volunteered to proofread Magic Squared for me. I will very likely take you up on your offers, so don’t be surprised to see chapter installments in your inboxes soon. I’ll contact you privately before I send anything, of course. The advice to get a good editor was absolutely spot on and I definitely will follow it. Once again, I am deeply grateful to all of you for your input and I’ll keep you apprised as to my progress.

Quendi

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

NE here:

FIRST thing, is to go to copyright.gov an get it copyrighted!

I'm going thru a legal battle right now because my book is all over the internet and no one wants to accept responsibility for infringing on my copyright. Original publisher of course went bankrupt and sold out to big media publishing co. that knows absolutely nothing abut my book being out there illegally.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

A personal story by a member of how copyright infringement hurts writers and other artists. Maybe those would cut and paste long portions of content that is protected by copyright may think again.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The creator of an original work owns the copyright. It is NOT necessary to do anything to secure that copyright. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to register it.

See these comments copied verbatim from the US Copyright Office.

Copyright Basics: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

How to Secure a Copyright: Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. ... There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration.

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is cre­ated, and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time.

Notice of Copyright

The use of a copyright notice is no longer required under U.S. law, although it is often beneficial.

Use of the notice may be important because it informs the public that the work is protected by copyright, identifies the copyright owner, and shows the year of first publication. Furthermore, in the event that a work is infringed, if a proper notice of copyright appears on the published copy or copies to which a defendant in a copyright infringement suit had access, then no weight shall be given to such a defendant’s interposi­ tion of a defense based on innocent infringement in mitigation of actual or statutory damages, except as provided in section 504(c)(2) of the copyright law. Innocent infringement occurs when the infringer did not realize that the work was protected.

The use of the copyright notice is the responsibility of the copyright owner and does not require advance permission from, or registration with, the Copyright Office.

Example: © 2011 John Doe

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

sending you a PM.

• JWOP
    JWOP

Lois Lane;

No, actually I haven't, LOL! I have five books -- One is my poetry, titled Melancholy's Muse, the rest are all religious based: The Truth About the Truth (Describing what it was like to be born and raised a JW, and then leaving the religion), Jehovah's Witnesses and the United Nations (Detailed information regarding the UN scandal), Jehovah's Witnesses -- A Religion Based On the Occult and Spiritism (pretty self explanatory), and CommonTruth -- Answers to Challenging Bible Questions (tackles tough subjects such as the killing of children, identifying the Antichrist, etc.) They are all available on Amazon.com in print and on Kindle.

Right now I'm working on a fiction story based on the Beasts of Revelation. I just started it so it's gonna take me a few months. Although I'm not exactly Stephen-King-Rich, it does give me a nice chunk of pocket money at the end of each month. :)

• JWOP
    JWOP

Quendi,

So....what is the story line like?

• DT
    DT

I would be willing to help proof read it.

• Quendi
    Quendi

First of all, thanks once more to those of you who have kindly volunteered to proofread Magic Squared. I’ll send PMs to let you know when I’m ready to send chapters to you. As for the storyline, this is a “time travel” story using a different mode of time travel. My characters employ magic squares to travel. There’s a lot of information about them online and from various other sources. My approach to them is based on some original research I conducted while I was a student at the University of Colorado some years ago.

Quendi

• talesin
    talesin

Quendi, that is good news. You are a polished writer, and I bet your story is going to be fascinating. I'll throw my hat in the ring with an offer to edit. It was 'what I did' for about 10 years in business, and I'm writing articles now for a local arts magazine. I've also edited a couple of chapters for another author (autobiography), and a chapter or two of sci-fi for a friend. I see you have several offers already.

xo

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit