Soliciting for money on this site is NOT acceptable

by Simon 31 Replies latest forum announcements

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Re Nigerian scams: Nigeria doesn't even have a royal family!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I have emails daily that start off "hello my dear" or "can I trust you" or "with Christian kindness".

I delete them all.

Recently I have had huge wins on lotteries I have never entered and a barrister wanting me to confirm who I am as there is a huge amount of money left by some relative I have never heard of.

And accounts from banks I dont even bank with keep getting suspended until I "click on this link" to verify who I am. I am terrified I will one day click without realising and start a huge chain of events that will wreck my life.

• Bangalore
  • Fernando
    Fernando

I was convinced I would never get caught by the ruby scam.

Then one day some really dumb scammers came from a totally different angle and before I knew it I was in their web.

When the penny suddenly dropped I offered to see what I could do to get the money they wanted.

Drove around the corner and phoned the police department dealing with this type of crime.

They were not interested in these wanted criminals just because I had not lost anything.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Don't even THINK of asking me for money--you will simply be wasting your time. And especially if you are going to use the money to support a church.

• moshe
  • minimus
    minimus

Hey mister...can ya spare a dime???

• Glander
    Glander

I'll buy anybody a bowl of noodles if they're hungry.

• Simon
    Simon

This 'scam warning' never fails to make me laugh:

A 'heads up' for those men who may be regular Lowe's, Home Depot, or Costco customers. This one caught me by surprise.

Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works: Two seriously good-looking 20-something girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the trunk. They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look. When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' and instead ask you for a ride to McDonalds..

You agree and they get into the back seat. On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet. I had my wallet stolen September 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th, & 29th. Also October 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th, 23rd, 26th & 28th, three times last Monday and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful. What a horrible way to take advantage of older men. Warn your friends to be vigilant.

Wal-Mart has wallets on sale for $2.99 each. I found cheaper ones for $1.99 at K- Mart and bought them out. Also, you never will get to eat at McDonalds. I've already lost 11 pounds just running back and forth to Lowe's, Home Depot, and Costco.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Simon: Thanks for the heads-up, but I wouldn't fall for anybody's sob-story e-mail.

You see panhandling everywhere you go whether it is outside the supermarket or in parking lots. Even people in suits looking for commissions get on my nerves. In the city you see every kind of panhandler with every excuse imaginable. Signs saying "need bus fare", or "I was robbed", "newly homeless", etc. While in some cases, these excuses may be genuine, can you possibly be expected to give to everybody? On occasion, I sometimes give.

You are also correct that people think they are going to target somebody who they think might be weak or a sucker. Everybody thinks a woman is going to be a pushover, especially those panhandlers with a baby and a stroller. For all I know, the baby is borrowed.

The point is: there is no escaping it. But, soliciting for money in general is getting out of hand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit