What is your experience when you stop turning in time?

by gingerbread 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

For the past year or so, I've been turning in just one or two hours of service time. It has been mentioned to me from an elder "friend" that I'm never seen at any meetings for field service. I get his implication. This year I've skipped reporting for two of the the past 5 months. What is your experience when you became irregular and eventually inactive? What should I expect?

A friend stopped attending meetings regularly about a year ago (except the memorial) and quit turning in time last fall. He's not heared from any elders... he just gets flack from family.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

From my own experience and others, nothing will happen.

The Elders simply do not care.

I also have it on good authority that many cong. secretaries simply fill in your time for you based on an average of what you did in the past few months, whether you turn in time that month or not.

Their only concern is looking good to the Circuit Overseer and avoiding a good roasting trying to explain falling numbers. They don't care about the publisher at all. All that matters are impressive numbers (even if they're fake)- not the true condition of the congregation.

As many leave through the back door as are coming in through the front.....such wasted effort.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Shirley is right about the secretary trying to avoid another vacant mark in the record and filling in a report for someone. Happens often. But he cannot keep doing so if someone stops turning in time altogether. And getting your time is what the elders only really care about.

Everything is okay with Bro. and Sis. Publisher if they are regular.

Typically, they hound you for a report. If you say you don't have anything to report, they may spring to action to get you back on the path to reporting. But most elders tire easily after a few brushoffs.

I think I was the exception to most rules. To make sure they left me alone (after already expressing my doubts about the organization) I turned in a report two months in a row that said "ZERO" in the hours column, written out like that so there was no doubt what I was reporting. Nobody called and I never turned in a report again.

• blondie
    blondie

I stopped going to meetings at the same time I stopped turning in time. A call asking for time 4 months later (but no contact to see how I might be doing) prompted a terse reply not to call again looking for time.

• label licker
    label licker

I'm starting to believe that elders are not allowed to ask for your time since its suppose to be volunteer. Noone came after us for our time and its almost one year now and that suites us just fine.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I stopped going to meeting, and turning in time simultaneously. The guys have largely left me alone, minus the occasional "how are you doing" or "we miss you". When I say I couldn't be better and ask them about themselves, there is always a tiny bit of disappointment that I am not being swallowed whole by Satans system.

Mostly they don't care, but they are basically leaving me alone which is what I really want. So I treat them with dignity and respect, and just continue the fade. Out through the back door is right Shirley.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The Bible Study Overseer or Group Overseer or whatever he's called now, called for a few months. Finally he quit.

I'm pretty sure that I'm inactive.

Just the fact that I don't know and they haven't told me says a lot, doesn't it.

Doc

• biometrics
    biometrics

The first few times when I said I didn't have any hours the elder tried to fudge it for me by putting down 8 hours of family study, even though I said 1 hour max.

The next few months I avoided putting it in but they hounded me, so I said I haven't been out, haven't got any hours at all.

After that they never asked anymore. I guess at that point I was inactive.

That was my experience anyhow.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Amazingly enough, I've never been spoken to since I stopped turning in time. It's been well over a year, maybe even two.

I do recall during a shepherding call, the elders said they "missed" seeing me out in service. I was honest and said it was hard to go out and talk about something I wasn't confident in anymore.

Since then it has never been brought up again, even in other subsequent visits.

CoC

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I turned in phony slips with minimal hours on them for a good 9 months. They were either late, or not in at all. After 3 slips with zeros on them the boys came for a shep call. They offered "encouragement" with the usual guilt, fear and obligation routine. I put them at ease without showing them my cards. I thanked them for their concern and for visiting my wife and I. Then I never handed in another slip. The CO visit is soon, so we will see if it comes up again with them.

Basically they don't want your low/no hour slips dragging down the cong average, but if you go inactive the CO will be all over them. If you can make it past the next CO visit you'll probably be fine. They may try to visit while he's in town or just before. This type of situation is discussed directly during the CO visit. The CO basically expects the local elders to make an effort to 'encourage' newly inactive ones. You may want to be "busy" around that time.

Are you on anyone's Apostadar? If it comes up that you've been "thinking" or "questioning" or "taking a step back to consider things" you can expect that the CO may lead a witch hunt on your ass. Just act discouraged and busy. Thank them for their concern, and maybe show up for a meeting or two after. Hell, throw your hand up in the WT study and read a scripture. They love that shit. Then back to good ol' inactivity.

Just remember... Once you hand in one slip, even with a zero on it... The process is started all over again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit