After the cult how many reject faith in anything?

by Seraphim23 136 Replies latest jw friends

• *lost*
    *lost*

TT2care

What is amazing is now we have the internet. all that information is out there for you to browse through and discover. It's brilliant. You can sit here with pc, have 5 or 6 tabs open covering different topics. think if you had to spend hours trawling through books, OMG ... nightmare. We are so lucky, everyone else has done most fo the work for us already.

Jesus was villified, tortured and crucified. Watch the passion of the christ for a realistic depiction of what it was actually like, then picture watching that happen to your son. If it doesn't tug at your heart strings I would be surprised. it makes it so real.

The early christians. Let's not forget, they were tortured, they were burned alive as human torches. they were set upon in the arenas by animals for entertainment and sport. the barbaracy and cruelty of the Romans is fact. Where does modern christianity as an organised religion come from - the Romans.

When King Henry the 8th broke away, research that, it was massive. No one challenged the power of the RCChurch. It was absolute power. When Elizabeeth became queen, the church sent a monk assasin to kill her !

Whe never got married to protect the people, if she had gotten married she would of straight away been in subjection to and controlled by man.

Queen Victoria. Was I think one of the first monarch's who started to reform housing etc for the poor and the workers.

Irish revolution, that was a nasty incident.

Look at what happened to the Jews.

World war I and II

Look at what is happening today in Syria. pakistan. bangladesh.

the list is endless.

• *lost*
    *lost*

TTTcare

P.s you are forgetting about the universal challenge.

And the first prophecy.

• cofty
    cofty

lost - There was no devil in the original Jewish religion. It was acquired from the dualism of the Zoroastrians during the exile.

Compare the accounts of David taking a census of the nation. In Samuel it was god who made David do it, but when the story is retold in Chronicles after the exile it was god's new nemesis Satan.

Originally god was responsible for everything - good and evil. Satan provided a convenient patsy for all the bad stuff.

The downside is that it leaves god looking silly and impotent.

• jhine
    jhine

religion does NOT cause wars . These people who claim to be Muslims are not following Islam , Catholics and Protestants in N Ireland who bombed and kneecapped each other are not Christians . Any major religion teaches peace . Jesus says love your enemy , do good to those who hate you . The world would actually be a better place if people REALLY followed their declared faiths . All religions teach that you should care about your fellow man , take care of the poor , etc . The problem is not when someone actually lives a life of true faith , it is people who act out their own predjudices , greed and sinful attitudes and try to justify themselves by acting in the "name " of religion .

Also being a Christian does not mean making great sacrifices , I really enjoy my life , I make choices about my behaviour , to love the unloveable , to forgive wrongs ( both actual and perceived !) , but you know what , it actually enhances my life and gives a freedom to me that my atheist friends don't have . I concentrate on the important things and don't waste energy holding grudges or anger , I don't strive for things that won't make me any happier if I get them .

TRUE religion enhances the individual and society . Obviously I believe Christian teaching ( not going to go into appologetics here ) , but I will defend my Muslim , Buddist , Sikh , etc brothers and sisters against this lie that is repeatd that religion causes all the wrongs in the world , no, human nature does that , religion should temper human nature and give a code of ethics to live by that negates the worst in us all .

.what about all the good that has been achieved by religious people outing on their convictions , the abolition of slavery was largely due to true Christians . In England much social reform was bought about by people of faith , children no longer get sent up chimneys ! This is religion in action and that is what true religion looks like .

• cofty
    cofty
    it actually enhances my life and gives a freedom to me that my atheist friends don't have

What freedom do you have that I don't?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

what religion are you jhine?

• *lost*
    *lost*

jhine

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was Christian after leaving the JWs as I couldn't imagine life without a superior being guiding me.

Where is god?

When I needed god he/she/them/it wasn't there..................my atheist/agnostic friends were there. They helped me, not some invisible, intangible entity.

Too many religions. Too many schools of thought. Too many contradictions. Too much bandwagoning. Too much delusion. Too little evidence. Too little logic.

Belief in god now reminds me of ''It's a good life'' a ''Twilight Zone'' episode where everyone was praising ''Anthony'' (Bill Mumy) not out of love but out of fear that he'd kill them.

It seems all religions are right....so THEY say!

Am I atheist? Am I agnostic? Who knows...not me.

I loved the coziness of being a believer but it isn't reality. God never answered ANY of my prayers.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Less than a year ago I started really researching TTATT. At the time I firmly believed in God and Jesus even though I had questions about the origin of human life, the flood and various aspects of JW doctrine. Within less than six months my faith had been completely demolished.

I am not completely athestic yet but I see very little evidence to the contrary.

What I am amazed about is that once you dig under the surface the whole thing can come crashing down so quickly.

• brainmelt
    brainmelt

I would describe myself as agnostic. I can't completely rule out the idea of some sort of spiritual being/beings but I also have no proof either, and evolution makes so much sense to me now that I am actually learning about it. At the moment, I have no need for faith in a god or supernatural being, it has been completely shattered. I've put the shattered pieces into a metaphorical box which I will reopen at some time and explore if I feel the need. Right now, I'm taking time for me and to enjoy life and my family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit