After the cult how many reject faith in anything?

by Seraphim23 136 Replies latest jw friends

• *lost*
    *lost*

pterist

The amount of times they go off topic, piss take and even abuse people and get away with it really winds me up. It's like having spoiled brats you just want to slap.

I often wonder if they conduct themselves with the same amount of spite, hatred and vitrolic in the 'real world' with 'real people' as they do here. Or is it because they are hiding behind pc screens and fake identities.

That would be a spectacle I would pay to watch. They wouldn't last 5 mins.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I am your scientific athiest unbeliever, but I will give you this much:

1. There is a place for a god in science. Everything started somewhere.

2. I like whatever makes you feel better. I don't knock anyone's religion. I complain about things that have affected me, but not things that have affected you. That's your choice.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

This is really fascinating, not least because people’s experiences are being expressed and they come over as very human, touching and defining, but also on account of the pattern that is emerging. It seems that many of the atheists are so due to two main reasons more or less. One seems to be lack of supernatural or revelatory experiences of any kind, and the other seems to be the problem of evil in the natural world, along with the God in the Old Testament coming over as evil or not loving. Perhaps a third reason is that science appears to offer an alternative explanation for everything. Each reason is a deep discussion in its own right.

For those with belief in God or spirituality (not religion) the reasons are interestingly the reverse in some ways. One is the having of supernatural or revelatory experiences. The other is coming to terms in some ways with `the problem of evil` including or not the old testament God. No one seems to have alluded to this reason much, in that for me at least, science doesn’t offer an alternative explanation for everything and yes another topic for deep topic discussion. It is very much like mirror images these two sides. I hope that understanding the other side might hinder the intolerance of the other that seems to happen, although I am new here and don’t know the background to well of that on here, but I can imagine.

Lost I really appreciated your comment and the others as well. I might venture a few thoughts on the problem of evil when I get time, as it is the reason my dad identifies as an atheist, and particularly the evil old testament God category of that argument.

• cofty
    cofty
    The one thing I can say with utmost certainty is that what I have lost faith in, and have no faith in ... is man. - lost

That is very sad. It is the singularly most damaging thing that the borg does to its members - to make them cynical about humanity.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Once you accept that Neanderthals and other primitive forefathers existed then it means the bible is out the window. Could god exist? I guess. But, I don't know where that leaves me or why it matters. Everyone just needs to be a good person and leave the world a better place than they found it.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I do not reject faith there is just something about faith that I cannot wrap my logical thinking mind around.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Hi Comatose, I didn’t reject the bible when I accepted Neanderthals and the other primitive forefathers. What I did was look closer as to whether Genesis for one, was written to be taken literally or not. I decided after looking very carefully that it is written parabolically. That’s not to say I take the bible as inspired in terms of every word virtually hand written by God, not at all; just inspired of God in the conventional meaning of the word inspired.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Ldrnomo, I think the word faith often lacks definition in the way people talk about it, which is a problem.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Gojira: " I just ask no one tell me I'm stupid for still believing in a God. Which has happened every single time I have said I still believe in God on this forum. "

If it makes you feel any better, Gojira, whenever I say I'm an atheist on this site, someone always says something thoughtless and snarky about it.

This site is all about discussion for believers and nonbelievers alike. You have to be prepared to take some flak.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Pet peeve, please don't take personally:

Parabola:

Parabola

Parable:

Parable

Shared for the love of language.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit