It got to be hard being a JW today!!!!

by jam 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• zeb
    zeb

Just recently an elder and a really humble great huy dropped in to see me. I certainly do not wish to hurt him he carries a big load as it is. I barely opened the child abuse thing and he had NO idea. The bastards at bethel are not worthy of him.

1975? what kept me sane was alittle scripture "No man knows the hour ..."

and I agree with you all.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Great topic and comments. I missed the 1975 hype, but was excited by the 1986 world year of peace, and then Armageddon coming before the end of the century and the generation dying out. Now there is no reason to really expect Armageddon to come within any particular person's lifetime. It is just any other religion now, except having to preach and follow bizarre rules makes it embarrassing to belong to.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I've observed a lot have grown up with it and it's just their lifestyle. They're just like anyone else: kids, house, jobs- they just go to meetings and a weekly door knocking ritual. A lot have probably become desensitised to 'the end' because it's been coming for over 100 years. I was only in 10 years before I got to the point where wolf had been cried to much- imagine decades of it.

• jam
    jam

Zeb: That scripture bugged me also the whole

time I was a JW. It,s very clear, no one knows the

hour or day but yet we were telling people, the time

is now..LOL My pour mom rest her soul, would tell me

over and over, no one knows. I knew because the GB told

me so.

• moshe
    moshe

I found out a neighbor a few blocks away is a JW- he had a garage sale and he had WT mags on a table-

JWs lay low in the neighborhood so they can pretend to be normal people. They prefer not to work the territory their home is in. Deep down, they know the public views them as social parasites and just plain weird. Wearing that kind of badge must be depressing for JWs.

• garyneal
    garyneal

It certainly has to be hard for my wife. Trapped between two worlds. She goes out of her way to plan a wonderful birthday party for my oldest daughter. The first one that she plan in the four years since she decided she was 'done celebrating.' A lot happened for the both of us in the last four years. Yet, she still attends the meetings on Sundays, occassionally goes witnessing on Saturdays, and every once in a while wonders what her life should really be like and where she should fit in.

I share with her some similar struggles I have with Christianity so at least we have some common ground, but unlike her I can have a faith in God and celebrate the holidays and birthdays too.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

All of the Above is why WE need to be more civilized to each other here.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Born in, I knew in the 60s that the Ancient Worthies hadn't shown up in 1925, so there was evidence that my parents were nutters following nutters. It would be ok as long as their JeHoover did actually Hoover up all the people who thought we were the crazies, but that never happened. They have spent the rest of their lives pretending that what was printed in the litteratrash they peddled didn't say what it clearly said, regardless of how poor your grasp of English grammar was.

Now, they are having to confront far more people who are educated in their tactics, doctrines and failures.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

That must be hard for them. I remember when I was new in the 'truth' and living with my mum, and she alerted me to these tactics. Hearing it made me physically ill, and made me adept at changing the subject or finding a reason to leave the room.

But, a decade + later, here I am. The more people that know, the more people will come to know.

• LV101
    LV101

A similar topic was started earlier today by Snare&Racket entitled Truth or Treat now over a few page. Snare makes some interesting, positive, comments how JWs are today. Hard to believe but hopeful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit