It got to be hard being a JW today!!!!

by jam 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Christadelphians. They were many things - but a cult they were not.

I don't know...there are a lot of ex-members out there who say they are are a cult...

http://www.ex-christadelphians.com/2012/02/post-christadelphian-traumatic-stress.html

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Several posts, like the OP from Jam and from WTWizard have hit the nail on the head in this thread...Back in the day we had a message ! We were proud to stand tall and serve "our God". At conventions we might wear sandwich boards and parade the town to advertize and make an impact. All the time, we felt special and different...

Perhaps I was in a good congo, but the meetings were fun. Spontaneous laughter was commonplace , it was relaxed . Today they are bound by rules , always address answerers by their surname, have to read what is dictated to be read, nobody has the courage to say anything interesting. It is DULL.

I believe that finance and mismanagement will cause a slow death of the movement. They give the books away, have no control over income and face rising costs. We see reductions in the literature already.How much longer can they spin out an end-time message that spans three centuries? Young bros are not seen to be stepping up to the plate, as the old ones go, who will take the lead?

As Gamaliel said in Acts 5 : "If this scheme or this work is from men, it will be overthrown"

• suavojr
    suavojr

Bluesbrother said:

How much longer can they spin out an end-time message that spans three centuries? Young bros are not seen to be stepping up to the plate, as the old ones go, who will take the lead?

I am 100% sure I am not gping to be an Elder! I am working on getting rid of my MS position as it is... although I do think they will always find people who want to beleive and drink the kool-aid, but for how long? Nobody knows.........

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I agree with Steve 2 and Moshe:

It is also my observation that the witnesses today are a different breed from several decades ago. In addition to all that Steve 2 said, there were quite a few intelligent JWs in the religion. You don't really see that anymore. In part, I suspect most have left the religion or even passed away. Forget about what's there now. Gone are the days of doorstep bible discussions with people at the door. Not only are there next to no people at the door who would even be interested in talking, but the average JW is ill-equipped to even engage in a half-way intelligent discussion about anything.

I also agree with what Moshe says about them keeping a low profile in the neighborhood. I think partly because they don't want other JWs to bother them (they know what nuisances they are), and because they are probably embarrassed deep down inside knowing their religion is parasitic in nature. Now contrast this to decades ago when somebody was known for being the "bible lady" in the neighborhood.

I think the majority of JWs in the religion today stay there because of family and business associations they know they would lose in a New York minute.

• jam
    jam

Blues B; If you told the young ones in the borg today

how much fun we had in the 60,s and 70,s, they would

think, are we talking about the same organization.

You tell them we played sports in those days. We even

played against other congregations, basketball, football,

beach vollyball and golf. We gave parties and dance.

And the assemblies were so much fun, that was our vacation.

• steve2
    steve2

Lisa thznks for the link to the former Christadelphians. I stand corrected. Their founder, a Dr Thomas, seemed perhaps even nuttier than the Watchtowet's Chuck Russell!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit