It got to be hard being a JW today!!!!

by jam 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ding
    Ding

I don't expect most JWs to know about the historical skeletons in the WT closet, but when you know more than they do about the latest teachings, it's really bizarre.

• steve2
    steve2

Phizzy, thanks for your additional comments about the roots of the Christadelphians. Yes, they were never cult-like, although established churches treated them like a scourge. They remained fiercely neutral and were among the first united conscientious objectors. I read somewhere that during World War One, the Christadelphians stand on not participating in that war was far more united than the Bible Students mish-mash of a "stand" ever was. So, yes, so much for Jehovah inspecting the "faithful and discreet slave in 1919 - or whenever the Watchtower says He did - and judging that "slave (i.e., the Watchtower) as being His channel for modern-times. What utter self-serving rot.

You're also right about the demise of the Christadephians: the most likely reason they ceased to grow was due to each "ecclesia" (district) having its own autonomy - and yes, if there was ever a group in "modern-times" that appeared to humbly replicate the 1st century "model" of how churches were organized, it would have to be the Christadelphians. They were many things - but a cult they were not.

Of course, the witnesses relative "success" in growing - at least in earlier years - was always more attributable to top-down control and "bureacratization" (e.g., filling out report cards, having rules for complianced with headquarters, etc). God's "holy spirit" be damned - their "growth" never had anything remotely to do with spiritual forces.

• man oh man
    man oh man

That is so true that it became hard being a Jw tody, with every person I teach the TTATT to help them avoid this cult scam, I feel even more embarrassed for having ever fallen for it.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I've found this to be true as well. A JW family has lived two doors away for more than 30 years and I haven't once seen them knock on anyone's door in our neighborhood. To this day they have yet to even say hello as I go by unless I say it first.____Poppers

Bein' " No part of the world " they can't risk bein' asked to things

normal and nieghborly, like a cookout or community project amongst their " Worldly" Nieghbors

• confusedteenager
    confusedteenager

When the only thing stopping you from leaving is your love for your immediate family, and one or two friends. Yes, it's damn hard.

I still think I'm just going to crack up and go crazy one day...if i haven't already.

• steve2
    steve2
    I still think I'm just going to crack up and go crazy one day...if i haven't already.

Well, confusedteenager, that's one way to get the local congregation to take another view of you.

But, to be frank, you don't have to go crazy to get your legitimate needs met - and, I'd suggest you find yourself a registered counsellor or psychologist so that you can healthily plan your way forward.

This may in part end with some necessary and healthy tears, but it need not end in your going crazy. Believe me - in my younger years, including my teens, I had genuinely believed I would end up going crazy if I remained in the company of the witnesses.

Decades later, I enjoy the best level of mental health and wellbeing ever. You can do the same!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

There are some hardcore JWs in my area, some of whom are doorstep converts who now pioneer or have 'privileges'. Got a good balance of average Joes and fanatical JWs. Haven't seen any for ages tho- don't even run into them at the shops any more!

• spirituk
    spirituk

thing is , jw's are leading double lifes without considering the harm they make to other people who are not jws.Many times they hide their religious beliefs and they only reveal it when they are in a bad situation according their interests in the JW community.They are hypocrites for closely contacts and hanging out with non jws,considering what their views are for wordly people .its so hypocritical to have a non jw for a best friend and inside you to believe he is going to die forever and that he is inferior to you..so brainf**ked..

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Consitently as both my wife and bump into our past JW aqauintences it is amazing that they all have the same refrain. When asked "how are you doing?" the consistent reply is either "oh, well, okay", "we are getting by" or "well, so-so, you know". I have decidied that I will no longer ask them how they are doing as I am doing very well, extremely happy and glad to be out of that toxic environment. So much for that 'happifying" shit.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

It was a whole different world to have grown up in a JW family. We lived and breathed the Witness lifestyle. We were a lot of things, but hypocrites we were not. Not so among the Witnesses today.

I have noticed this as well. We walked the talk and towed the line. There was not one aspect of life that was not affect by JW beliefs. And.. if you even appeared to be stepping out of line.. in the back room you'd go! Remember: Sisters cannot disagree even with their eyes?

I also believe they are becoming more of a social club than anything else. When I was taking my elderly JW mom back and forth to her meetings, just dropping her off and picking her up, I couldn't help but notice all the little kids decked out on a Wednesday night and carrying a matching bookcase just like their parents'. Shoot... before I left I brought my young son in his PJs because he would fall asleep and it was easier to plop him in bed. No one ever said anything because I was there and dressed the right way.

In the recent 5 years it does seem the WBTS is targeting the very, very young with their videos, "family worship", and great need to make little adults out of 5 year olds. Anyone else see this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit