What does 100 calories look like?

by jgnat 94 Replies latest social entertainment

• jgnat
    jgnat

I understand, Finally-Free. I had a bad episode for a month where, no matter what I did, I was soaring up to as high as 16 mmol/l.

I mean, I was tracking everything that was going in my mouth, exercising after meals, you name it. It only started to go down after my doctor put me on a new medication. Januvia. On top of the Metformin with meals. I am not on insulin yet, so I was freaking out not having a way to bring down my sugar numbers. I even read up on the treatment before insulin (starvation, don't recommend it) while I waited for my appointment with the doctor.

I'm not sure if you are in to geek stuff, but the http://www.bantapp.com/ developed for the Toronto Children's Hospital, was a comfort. There's a community of diabetics on twitter, #bgnow to record your highs and your lows.

• *lost*
    *lost*

gosh - you know we hear about diabetes, but don't actually realise the issues involved for peeps that have to live with the medical condition.

People think fat-free and sugar free is healthier. It's not. Natural is best, all about balance. No way I could drink tea without sugar, but rarely do I now drink fizzy pop. Kids only get it occasionally for treats.

I know diabetes on the rise in Uk cos of obesity. ( there's different types isn't there )

I too had my kids on'proper' food and diets when they were younger. (but not fanatical you know, talk to them and educate them about stuff, balance)

My aunt developed it in her later years in life. (passed away)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah, my eyes were blurry at 16 mmol/l. All I could do was drink water and wait for my kidneys to pass the excess sugar. The consequences for not maintaining the balance, huge. We're talking blindness, loss of limbs, nerve damage.

BTW, the body can't tell the difference between "natural" sugar and refined. One might get a small side-benefit from trace elements and fibre, but in the final analysis we're walking chemical factories.

• *lost*
    *lost*

jgnat - what about glucose. Can you have that. High energy source. We used to use it mixed with water as supa boost for weak lambs.

and fruit - does that affect you.

I'm loving learning bout these things from you guys. ya know your not getting gobbedly gook.

FF - was it an ulcer you got ? There seems to be a high incidence of women that get ulcers on their shins. (usually older women, that I know of )

• jgnat
    jgnat

Diabetes 101. When I say my sugars are "too high", this is how ALL food is broken down and processed by the body. In order of HOW FAST the body processes, it is sugar first, carbohydrates second, protein third and fats last. All that fibre does is is slow down the digestive process, which can be a good thing. People with a properly functioning pancreas, produce insulin if too much food is taken in by the body. The body balances naturally. With a diabetic type 2, the pancreas does not produce enough insulin. So we have to watch the balance and the portions of foods taken by the body. Since balance is the goal, every meal should have a combination of both carbohydrate and protein. We need the immediate energy and the slow burn afterwards.

So the type of sugar is irrelevant. The body will swiftly process it all to glucose.

Sugar

A diabetic type 1 does not produce any insulin, so must inject. Theirs is a regimented life.

• LV101
    LV101

How about 1 ounce of raw, natural, nuts and carry in ziplock bag. I don't know the calories but friend tells me they're 5 points/Weight Watchers (that's a lot) but one of my health books says to have them in spite of the fat/high calories because they're so good for you. I have raw walnuts, pecans and cashews.

How about whole, raw, sunflower seeds. The organic seeds from Whole Foods really taste the best. I measure 1/4 cup and throw in ziplock. They're very high in calcium and so good for you.

Interesting post.

• LV101
    LV101

Low calorie string cheese is good to carry around for snack and the Skinny Cow cheese wedges along with couple of Wasa Krisps (Rye, other blends available). I carry so much food w/me but some great snack ideas posted above so I'll get some new ideas. I'm allergic to milk products but I eat a small amt. daily.

Love the plain, Greek yogurt that is low in carbs (compared to regular yogurt) high in protein. I throw fruit and sugarless sweetner and have become addicted. There's a good yogurt out by Kroger, carbohydrate free and some incredible flavors --- pretty sure it's fat free, too. Taste pretty good, considering there's Equal or Nutra Sweet in it.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

LisaRose - just shows a little bit of creative thinking and a tad bit of preperation and you have healthy snacks.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Jgnat - I think I get it now. Sugar is the enemy ? Too much sugar.

Yeah modern peeps don't seem to have much common sense when it comes down to food.

Kids school doing another drive on ''healthy'' eating. Knee-jerk reaction to supposedly ' dangerously high levels ' of obesity.

Ridiculous some of the stuff they are wanting to ban out of the kids lunches. Good job I brought mine up witha bit of savvy and common sense ( logical thinking I guess - I am learning all these new terms)

There is sugar in almost everything. Potatoes. milk etc.

LV101

See the weight watchers are watching calories, the goal is reduce calories, reduce weight. What they forget to factor in is the healthy balance. Nuts are classed as fattening as they have high fat content. But there are big differences with types of fats/oils. Not all of them are bad, and they are vital to healthy body.

Thankfully there is a bit more publicity about it now

good fats/bad fats.

I tell my kids '' the further the apple has come away from the tree - in terms of production - the less goodness there is in it '' keep to natural as much as possible.

Anyone ever see the film about Lorenzo's Oil.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Love the ideas, LV101. Keep in mind though the tiny portion size for nuts because of the calorie punch. Ten peanuts equals 100 calories.

*lost*, you were closer the first time. Balance is key. Our bodies convert all foods to sugar. It's what fuels our body. Take glucose, feed the body right away. I relate it to high-octane fuel. Take a peanut, and the fats will be broken down in about eight hours. Type 1 diabetics, because they take insulin, have to worry about their blood sugar being too low or too high. They must carry a fast glucose source such as the glucose tabs you mention just in case.

A peanut is 72% fat. Most other nuts are the same.

*lost*, I believe Weight Watchers doesn't include nuts in their regimen is because it is too easy to overindulge. A few extra nuts will push you over.

Milk naturally has sugar, lactose. A potato is over 92% carbohydrate (starch).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit