MIL letter to my wife

by AggieNostic 71 Replies latest jw experiences

• AggieNostic
    AggieNostic

Background: my wife and I are inactive, we stopped attending in 2005. Raised as JWs, were Pioneers, I was Elder etc...

Our kids are in college, also inactive but are baptised. My wife went back to college, getting her degree this month at age 48! We are the happiest we have ever been and have no desire to go back, but we love our parents immensely - despite their fanatical beliefs.

MIL announced that they would have to stop associating with us since we do things occassionally with our DF'd siblings. My sister is DF and my brother in law is DF. We love our family and refuse to shun them like our parents do. My wife has another brother who is an Elder and very active. MIL sent the following letter to my wife - any ideas on how to respond without causing hurt and at same time make a point? Not sure I even want to respond... but this letter just upsets us because they don't even see how brainwashed they are. Your thoughts?

Her letter to my wife:

To my dearest daughter to whom we love very much. I'm writing this letter because it would be too hard for me to speak to you person to person.

I look back on our life raising you children and though our life wasn't perfect, we had a good life. We raised the three of you the best we knew how and the most important part of that was teaching you the truth about Jehovah. We'd hoped that you would serve Jehovah forever, but you and "DB" (DF'd Brother) decided differently. Granted it is your choice to do what you want in your life. But your Dad, "JB" (my wife's JW Brother) and I have chosen to serve Jehovah forever and to be loyal to him. I would like more than anything if you, your family and "DB" and his family would return to Jehovah.

A scripture comes to mind that you and your family need to consider: Deut 30:19-20 "I do take the heavens and the earth as witnesses agains you today that I have put life and death before you, the blessings and maledictions, and you must choose life in order that you may keep alive, you and your offspring, by loving Jehovah your God, by listening to his voice and by stick to him." I don't think Jehovah is asking too much from you, do you??

For the last two Mondays, I have seen "MS" (My college age son) come out our way to go mushrooming with "DB" (my DF'd brother-in-law) who is disfellowshipped and this seems more important to him than have a relationship with his grandparents. Since all of you prefer to have with all of your disfellowshipped relatives makes it seem you love being with them more than you do those who serve Jehovah. You know we've talked to you about this before, but I guess you don't care what we think.

So again, there will have to be some changes in our relationship with your family. Because of your decision to associate with your brother and "DS" (my DF'd younger sister), we will have to stop our association with your family. You know our 50th Anniversary is next year and because of your continued time spent with disfellowshipped individuals you will not be welcomed to one of the most important days of our life when your family should be by your side. Of course you have time to change your life and come back to Jehovah.

When I see you at the Kingdom Hall or hear that you are attending meetings on a regular basis, then I will know if you truly want to be on Jehovah's side. As you well know by now your Dad and I will not compromise our relationship with Jehovah. Do you remember the scripture at Matt 6:24 where it says "No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. You cannot slave for God and for Riches." So "MW" (my wife) which will it be??

I hope this gives you some thought as to who you will serve, God or Satan. We hope you choose Jehovah. We long to be a close family again. I'll close this letter with our scripture test for today and also a picture that shows we were once a happy family.

All the love that we can give,

Mom and Dad

<< I welcome your thoughts/comments/suggestions on a reply or you may think we should just leave it alone - I will answer your questions if you want some additional background... thanks everyone!>>

AggieNostic

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Love the way they dangled that carrot of the 50 yr annivesary over you!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

A threat and a bribe rolled up in one. Nice. Don't respond right away. Sit on it awhile.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Wow so manipulative! Well they have the best teachers at this in the WT society. TO HELL WITH THEM! I get more angry with this cult every day, it needs to end!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

After a while,extortion gets boring..

It never ends until they die..

"Piss Off!" would be a good reply..

Short..Sweet..To the point..

The bullet that ends it all..

(No..I haven`t had my coffee yet..I need coffee..LOL!!..)

............................ photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• jgnat
    jgnat

Blondie has mentioned that as part of her fade all calls, all letters were screened and deleted/destroyed without opening. I suggest a spring wiener roast and a letter burning party. Enjoy your siblings.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Actually I wouldn't respond at all. I would continue doing whatever it is you do. JW's always feel like you are REQUIRED to respond to questions, threats, accusations, etc etc.

Take the bite out of it, with a non response

• nugget
    nugget

The letter shows all the manipulation you would expect. You have to make changes, they are feeling rejected by you and they are being forced to exclude you from one of the most important days of their lives.

Despite the protestations of love it comes across as very cold. If you feel the need to respond than make it clear that you have not rejected them as they suggest but that their decision not to associate with you is theirs alone. E.G.

We all love you very much and cherish the importance of family in our lives. As a family we share experience and upbringing and have a unique bond that is not easily broken or lightly cast aside. This means that we still love and respect you and appreciate all you have done for us. Our love for you is not conditional on what you believe, who you associate with or how you chose to live your life we are always available to you. We will not reject you or exclude you because you are that important to us.

You are right that we all have choices and we choose to love you always just as we love all our family.

However bear in mind that any response is likely to fall on deaf ears they will not be open to reason. With this in mind sometimes it is better to ignore the manipulation rather than fuel the fanaticism.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

No response is perfect. It immediately ends "the drama" and shows they have no power over you.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Nugget

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit