New Video On Youtube About Shunning

by Watchtower-Free 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jws
    jws

Very well done. It made me sad just watching it and hearing the atrocities.

I'm sure people who see this will wake up to the JWs. Turn them away when they come knocking.

Good luck with it, but I'm skeptical of anything but minor leeway on this issue.

Let's say you're the JWs. You're a religious organzation. So right off the bat, you're believing in fairy tales written down long ago. And given you're devoted to that, reasoning is not going to work. It's like nerds claiming to follow the rules of the Jedi Order and just as legitimate. And those fairy tales do give warnings about ex-believers, those causing divisions, those doing bad things.

And from their standpoint, if you let people freely associate with ex-believers, you are going to lose people. With freedom of association, many ex JWs will try to help JW friends and family find their way out. Some will follow. Assuming some of the leaders actually truly believe in the doctrine and not just making money, they don't want to lose people and ruin their chances for a resurrection.

They can't afford to back down without the risk of major losses.

And let's face it, they're not all wrong on this issue. Some people that are beyond/refusing help or a danger to you, you avoid.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Awesome video. It could have been more powerful if the statements of those who had been shunned had a name associated with them. It wouldn't have to be a full name but at least a first name and maybe last initial. IMHO making anoynomous statements by those shunned without being signed is a little too much like how the WTBTS promotes its propaganda.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" And let's face it, they're not all wrong on this issue. Some people that are beyond/refusing help or a danger to you, you avoid. "

This is true, we all have the right to stop associating with anyone we want. If I don't want to go to your home because you smoke, that is my choice. If you don't want to come to my home because I drink, that is your choice. So if a Christian chooses not to associate with someone, even a family member because, let's say...they lead an immoral life, that is their business.

The issue is the extreme un-biblical shunning practiced by the WTBTS as a control measure. Especially when the issue is apostasy, or not agreeing with the latest incarnation of truth from Brooklyn. None of Christ's disciples would have practiced DF'ing as JWs practice it today.

• Gayle
    Gayle

This was very good. At least, 'non=JWs' can be "aware." Hopefullly, as this issue becomes public knowledge, perhaps some JWs will become embarrassed about it.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

The video was well done. Not as moving as the initial AAWA video but still very effective. I've already had many friends who were never JW comment that they had no idea the severity of the shunning practice within JWs and that many things that happened in their youth when they tried to interact with JWs make more sense now that the veil of the fear of shunning has been lifted for them.

I think that is the value to these videos, educating people about these damaging policies and giving them the ability to engage witnesses that come to their door without always saying "I'm not interested"

Because of efforts some made through the local media in my area regarding sex abuse issues within the JWs, I know that JWs have faced a barage of loaded householders demanding explaination. One of my clients answered the door while I was working away at her house during the Memorial campaign. I was impressed how she knew the issues and would not allow the two elders at the door evade her pointed questions.

Eventually more and more people will understand the dangers of so many harmful WT policies. Sure, it is a small insignificant religion viewed by many to be benign. Education through the internet, specifically social media is reaching people and having an affect on perception. When enough casual observers understand the plight of others trapped in this cult and the negative impact they suffer from the WTs policies on shunning, abuse, no blood, etc. ; more and more but the most zealous amongst the JWs will leave the religion.

• Simon
    Simon

Good video

• jws
    jws

@Data Dog:

The issue is the extreme un-biblical shunning practiced by the WTBTS as a control measure. Especially when the issue is apostasy, or not agreeing with the latest incarnation of truth from Brooklyn. None of Christ's disciples would have practiced DF'ing as JWs practice it today.

Romans 16:17 (NIV) says: I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.

I'm NOT a JW apologist. But, I can see where they get it from. This stuff is in the bible. How you "keep away from them" is, I suppose, a matter for debate.

And I suppose it would depend on the "apostate". Did they leave without discussing or trying to get others to see it their way? Just left silently, maybe only discussing doubts with the elders? ie. wasn't "causing divisions".

Yes, the practice is wrong to our sensibilities. Everyone should decide for themselves (except kids who's parents probably know best) who they should and shouldn't hang out with. And there should also be full disclosure. Don't just tell me not to associate with somebody. Tell me what happened and let me decide.

But then again, this is a religion. The Old Testament is full of ridiculous rules and stories that we wouldn't think are right. That are unfair, unjust, double-standards, etc. Yet the faithful believe that too. And if you were an ancient Israelite, you didn't see these rules as those of men, but from god.

IMO, unless they're doing something illegal or allowing it, they're a religion. And here in the US, there is freedom to practice your religion. So without a big huge, supreme court ruling, what gives us the right to tell JWs how they should practice their religion? We don't go telling Jews they can't observe Hannukah or Yom Kipur.

As long as you're going to believe in Christ, Buddha, Allah, Jehovah, Kali, Krishna, Zues, Jupiter, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Jedis, you go do that. Just don't do anything illegal.

And we can continue our efforts to get people away from that nonsense.

• james_woods
    james_woods

My adopted cat hates the video.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Ditto Simon.

• Watchtower-Free

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit