Where do you consider the best place to live in the world

by His Excellency 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

You are quite right. If our prime minister should confess that he is a pentacostal or mormon or muslim he would have to resign immidiately becouse of the pressure from the public opinion. Religion are similar to superstition!!?

Bugbear

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

LV101 - yes I have an American friend in San Diego and after visiting here he mentioned that there was a huge south african community. They even have "saffa days" where the make all the south african foods, have a braai etc. Moving anywhere on a South African passport is nigh impossible :/

aaaaaah I so need to put my head down and sleep.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Lucerne, Swiss Republic. Also Northern California (Wine Country).

• Simon
    Simon

Canadian cities often come in the top 5 of best places to live.

If you can cope with it snowing one week and then being 20+ the next then Calgary ain't bad!

• Open mind
    Open mind

We love the San Francisco, CA Bay Area.

You can surf in the morning, hop in the car for a 3 hour (mid-week) drive and be snow skiing in the afternoon.

Food, music, eclectic mix of cultures, we love it.

If I had to pick a European city, Barcelona would be in my top 5, provided I was living off retirement funds.

One of these days we'll make it down under and visit the Kiwis and Aussies.

om

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Pacoima, ca

• Glander
    Glander

Pacoima, Ca. !!

Now there's a man easy to please.

Great place for a business making wrought iron fences and window bars.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I love the four seasons, but I find the Winter season to last so long. I love Ontario, with the lakes, and lots of open spaces. But, I would like to break up my home. Three months in the Caribean, and the rest of the year in Ontario.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

This is a very good question, and I have come to realise that only by living somewhere do you get to see it warts and all.

I lived in Cyprus 2005-2010, and you can get fed up and bored with antiquities, sea, sand, sun and cold beer. (Working on a building site in temperatures of 40/100 + for €25 a day isn't much fun, either).

I am happy with where I live in the UK - a mainly rural county with a beautiful coastline, and I have family here. But I love mainland Europe - the freedom to put the car on a ferry, drive off and turn right for Spain/Portugal, straight on for France, Germany, etc. (I confess to making up 'dream' journeys on my satnav.)

I've only been to the US once, on a case, and spent three weeks there (mostly rural Wisconsin). I liked Madison, WI, (there's reality then there's Madison) and even had a half-formed plan to move there and teach at UW. Didn't come to fruition and probably for the best. IMHO the US can be good if you are youngish, have a good job with medical insurance, and so on.

I once had the chance to go for a secondment job based in Miami as part of a joint FBI team covering the Caribbean. A dream job, perhaps, but the security information about the provided housing for me and my family was rather off-putting.

Like so many things in life, I think, you need enough money to give you choices. Living on an island (e.g. CY) is fine if you can afford to fly out as and when you wish. Living in a country with no NHS is fine if you can afford medical insurance or the bills as they arise. And, if you have family ties it's good to live within reasonable/affordable distance.

I still don't know where I will end up.

• moshe
    moshe

When I see the right place, I'll know it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit