WTF just happened??? An elder I haven't seen in years stopped by to hand me a XXXXXXXX !!!

by Calebs Airplane 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

So yesterday afternoon, an elder who lives only 3 blocks away drives up to my house as I was about to enter my car. As he gets out of his car, I noticed he had a stack of photocopied paper in his hand and he seemed quite nervous. I was genuinely happy to see him nonetheless since he is pretty easygoing and very likeable. After saying hello, he immediately started to make small talk, mentioning that he had just retired, had put the house up for sale and is expecting to close by next week. As he continued his small talk, he got very fidgety with the papers he had in his hand and my curiousity slowly overcame me.

I began to wonder whether this was some kind of invitation to another special assembly or some other ad-hoc event, but he kept up the small talk before finally handing me a piece of paper that said: (wait for it) ...... "Garage Sale"... That's right! This elder, whom I haven't seen or communicated with in well over 3 years (and lives only 3 blocks away) drives up to my house to hand me a f**king Garage Sale flyer !!! And get this... the sale was from 10AM to 6PM and he hands me this flyer at 5:30PM (with only 30 minutes remaining). I almost burst out laughing because of how utterly pathetic and bizarre this whole thing was. But, as I mentioned, I was still quite happy to see him nonetheless.

After he left, I asked myself: WTF just happened???

But while I was trying to make some sense of it all, it got me to realize that I was apparently NOT in bad standing at my old congo. So I decided to use this experience to engage another elder in the congo who had been ignoring my emails for quite some time. After trying to call this 2nd elder, I sent him this text (in Spanish):

ME: Hello Elder 2, I just ran into Elder 1 a few minutes ago. He's selling his house and moving in with his kids. I was so happy just to say hello to him and that made me think about you. When can I call you just say hello?

Elder 2: You can say hello when you are ready to respect the organization's arrangement.

ME: Organization's arrangement??? What on earth are you talking about? I'm talking about simply saying hello to you because I haven't seen you in so long and I felt a genuine need to reach out. Is this the example of love that Jesus taught? Frankly, I feel quite offended and shocked.

Elder 2: (no response)

So I have to ask: WTF just happened? 1st elder hands me a Garage Sale flyer and the 2nd elder elder tells me to respect the organization's arrangement !!! Are they serving up looney juice at the elder's meetings ???

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

It's simple,

elder 1 even though he probably thinks your a loser, came to visit you because it could have possibly given him some material gain. He may have had a few things left that he thought you may have bought.

elder 2 however would have recieved nothing from your HELLO. elder 2 is also an ignorant selfish ass hole who would push you under the bus if it benefitted him.

• trujw
    trujw

Looney juice, looney tunes and books. These people live in a world of fantasy. It has been brought out many many times where else are low IQ men who clean toilets going to go? They get to dress up in their Sunday costume and prance around a stage the alternative is to much to face.

• finally awake
    finally awake

what a bunch of goofs! we're having our annual Boy Scout fundraising yard sale next week, I can't wait to see of the local dubs stop in like they did last year.

• flipper
    flipper

CALENS AIRPLANE- Very funny as hell ! Yes, they DO serve up loony juice at elders meetings ! I've seen it in action and been on the receiving end of the looniness. That being said like LDRNOMO said Elder # 1 thinks you're a loser but he has a lot to gain by selling you his stuff. In my opinion Elder # 2 is just a fanatic hardcore, hard-ass elder who would rather see you dead at the fictitious Armageddon. these guys are real tools. Try to avoid them at all costs. Sorry they gave you a bad hair day. Elders have a way of doing that. Hang in there

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I think Elder #1 is a geniuinely nice person that felt the garage sale could be used as a business reason to reach out to you . He probably misses you ,and now that he is moving away may not have another chance to talk to you . In the small talk he was able to inform you of where he is going and why .He used the garage sale as an excuse to speak with you .

• Scott77
    Scott77

Very interesting reading.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Caleb...I am sorry how this Bible based business religion has screwed with everyone's minds. The one moving away 50/50, maybe you would buy some of his stuff, so he doesn't have to give it away to Goodwill or take it to the dump. And, his life is changing. The Big "A" didn't come, he is old, he is moving in with his kids. What happened ?, I can imagine is also going through his mind. Maybe, just recently, he is waking up to TTATT and he wanted to geniunely speak to you face to face and see how you were coping by not going to the KHall. Maybe it was his only way of touching base with you. Yes. Three blocks...3 years, but maybe just now he is waking up. Maybe he is going to miss you. Maybe he isn't a true believer anymore.

You know your situation. Is it possible, now, before he leaves, to invite him for a meal or at least to come over for a drink?

Just Lois

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Thanks everyone...

While reading your comments it occurred to what "organization's arrangement" is...

Last year, Elder 2 emailed me to ask if he could stop by for a shepherding call.

I responded: "No problem. I'd like that very much. Please do come. But please come alone."

His response to that was something like... 'Sorry.. can't do that. The ARRANGEMENT requires 2 brothers and at least one has to be an elder.' (Caps mine)

I believe I left this conversation along the lines of 'let me think about it'...

That being said... I still don't understand what any of this has to do with him accepting a simple 'hello' from me...

I give up.... moving on...............

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Lois... excellent idea... I just might do that.... thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit