Good article on CNN, When religious beliefs become evil. 4 signs

by wha happened? 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

which one would u say is missing Dagney

• Dagney
    Dagney

charismatic leader

Edited to add: Unless you are thinking of the GB (insert recent pic of the current 8)?

Nawww...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well yeah the GB isn't all that charismatic but they have declared themselves to be demi-gods and the rank and file jws reacts to them like they're rock stars.

• Dagney
    Dagney

True, they would be the point. Although some of the JWs I know are entirely annoyed with the whole GB thing and don't want to even discuss them. They had respect and affection for all the dead ones. The new group don't have what the old group had.

I think I will save the article. It would be good to share.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

• Any religion that limits the intellectual freedom of its followers, he says, has become dangerous. “When you start to get individuals who are the sole interpreters of truth, you get people who follow them blindly."

GOOD ARTICLE...so easy to id most groups when you have control of your own mind!

SW

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Whaddya mean, the GB aren't charismatic!?!?!

They've got over 7 million followers that will:

• Will shun family members and former friends, often without even knowing why other than that they've been instructed to do so;
    • Will refuse life-saving medical treatment based on an interpretation of scripture that no other religion accepts.
    • Continue to follow them
      • Even though nothing they have predicted has EVER come true, and
      • Will blindly accept any and all of their doctrinal changes, no matter how nonsensical, illogical, contradictory and lacking in evidence

Need I go on?

For your consideration, here are two definitions of charisma. See if you can determine which apply and how:

The term charisma has two senses:

1. compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others,
    2. a divinely conferred power or talent.

We've seen pictures of them and heard their talks, so we all know that JWs don't follow them because of the first reason.

Abundant evidence proves that the GB don't actually have any divinely conferred "powers or talents," but--and here is the truly interesting part--they HAVE managed to convince the millions of R&F JWs that they DO have "divinely conferred power."

It is the propagandist's ploy and the con artist's ruse: Perception creates belief and belief trumps reality.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yea I think the GB fits as a group leader, which is worse. The death of the charismatic leader usually ends the movement. But the revolving door of the GB is like a corporation. Whoa wait. It is a corporation. Who's entire existance is to exist, forever

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Yes, corporations are legal entities that can live forever! They've finally found a way to achieve eternal life.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

charismatic leader can also be a a Mystical leader.. I read, when researching cults intially ..

they are mystical in their .. FDS teachings and their lack of answering for anything .. It's like they are ghosts who hold all this power, but they hide behind being Humble..

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ah yes, the eternal holder of secrets, or at least the impression they do. Such as the often metnioned rumour that the GB really know what day armageddon is, but they aren't telling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit