HOT OFF THE PRESS: ZO talk in Japan

by WinstonSmith 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2
    Are there Apostates in Japan?

Not that I am aware of but then that other "A"-word "affliction" which is at "pandemic" levels in the West - Apathy - is doing a pretty fine job of sapping the zeal of those lovely Japanese women.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

moshe:

The growth of the Internet age seems to parallel the decrease in publishers-

After the US and the UK, Japan is the next largest source of visitors to my wordpress pages about the JW's 607 doctrine (based on data for the last 365 days). If this is any reflection of Internet usage of the Japanese people in general, then the Internet is very likely a considerable factor in the stagnation of JW numbers in Japan.

• oppostate
    oppostate

It's bait and switch!

• steve2
    steve2
    moshe:
    The growth of the Internet age seems to parallel the decrease in publishers-
    After the US and the UK, Japan is the next largest source of visitors to my wordpress pages about the JW's 607 doctrine (based on data for the last 365 days). If this is any reflection of Internet usage of the Japanese people in general, then the Internet is very likely a considerable factor in the stagnation of JW numbers in Japan.

Surveyers and researchers always look for the possibility of other as-yet unidentified variables that could explain something. What is held in common with all countries with high internet usage is educational attainment - and we know that in countries with higher educational attainment, there is a higher percentage of internet usage and reduced affiliation to and interest in organized religions. The common variable is educational attainment. It's got relatively little, if anything to do with the internet exposing specified groups - although the exposure undoubtedly contributes to the decline. With or without the internet, the Watchtower struggles to attract new growth in countries in which there are increased levels of literacy and educational attainment; hence no surrprise that the Watchtower frequently warns about the 'dangers' of higher education. In plain language, more educated individuals are less likely to zealously follow religious twaddle.

So the explanatory variable is probably not so much the internet 'causing' people to doubt the Watchtower but more likely to be that the message of the Watchtower is less 'persuasive'to populations with higher educational attainement (i.e., educated people are less likely to be entranced by the Watchtower and similar religion's messages). None of this excludes the likelihood that at least some of these more highly educated people may also read more and find out more via the internet about specified religious groups.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

steve2

So the explanatory variable is probably not so much the internet 'causing' people to doubt the Watchtower but more likely to be that the message of the Watchtower is less 'persuasive'to populations with higher educational attainement

Maybe. But most JW growth comes from children of JW families. Among those people, Internet usage is more likely to increase at a higher rate than the rate of JWs persuing tertiary education.

• mP
    mP

Somebody in the GB must loves the zombies at the end of Mat.

• steve2
    steve2
    But most JW growth comes from children of JW families. Among those people, Internet usage is more likely to increase at a higher rate than the rate of JWs persuing tertiary education.

You could be on to something there Jethro. My impression though is that of the high numbers of born-ins who leave relatively few ever take it to the level of actively pursuing exposure-type information on the Watchtower compared to those who leave, get a higher education and never look back as it were. But it would make an interesting research project asking born-ins what factors led to their falling away from the faith of their parents and grandparents. My guess is that a significant proportion of born-ins who leave are much more 'apathetic' or indifferent about the religion of their upbringing than forming 'apostate' views on it.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

steve2:

You could be on to something there Jethro.

Who is Jethro?

• Listener
    Listener

"Are there Apostates in Japan?"

Possible Sans posts here and is Japanese. I think he/she translates their posts from Japanese into english.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

the book of mathew perfect for the JW, only book were its states christ presence, and the one that the parable about the Faithful and discreet slave is more vague. Unlike luke were the parable is more detailed and they can not monipulate it as easy. Mathew does not state that Judas was at the passover meal during the new covenant discusion were at luke it does. I wonder if in thier new bible they'll leave out books altogether.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit