Lot's of talk on the July Watchtower?

by noonehome 55 Replies latest jw friends

• noonehome
    noonehome

So I've heard lots of talk from within about the 'new light' in this watchtower...I'm yet to look at it in any detail. I'm kind of surprised actually...I first heard about it here before it was even available but close to the time it did come out people started bringing it up - even our CO.

Some say things like "have you heard about this?" or "big changes," or "allot of things they said we believed, I didn't realize,"(LOTS of that) or "brain-overload" or " too much information, but I've never felt more pumped up" or "it's SOO exciting to see Jehovah's spirit lead his organization..." or "It requires time to sink in, but it's a good feeling!" or "I have to study it more, because it's so different to what I thought we believed," etc.

People are just eating it right up. Slurping it up like a plate full of saucy spaghetti.

One of my MS friends seemed a little surprised/confused when I told him what it was about. One friend said "You know it's intense when there's a timeline," which was kind of funny the way he said it. Earlier he said something about how crazy some of the stuff we used to believe is when you "look back at old watchtowers," which piqued my attention but of course I couldn't say anything. He says things sometimes that convince me he's waking up and other times that there's no way. Another one of my buddies went staight to the website to download it on his iPad to see it for himself. He started quoting some of the things and the group fell silent at some of it.

I don't really know what to make of any of this. I guess just that it's interesting to see people think about things out only so far as is comfortable... and then abruptly stop to praise Jah and put their heads down for another slurp off the plate. Has this been other people's experience?

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly
    People are just eating it right up. Slurping it up like a plate full of saucy spaghetti.

Yep... same in the cong. I attend. Strange reaction. I try to drop little comments here and there to make people THINK! My favorite: "They're gonna have to throw away the last 90 years worth of publications!"

• Stealth
    Stealth

People are just eating it right up. Slurping it up like a plate full of saucy spaghetti

Sounds like the actions of people who are spiritually starved. They are so starved for new light that the GB can feed them a plat of dog crap and they lap it up like spaghetti.

Sad.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"It just makes sense."

That's what I was told.

Doc

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Here is a summary of the changes.

Faithful Slave
    The Faithful Slave is only the Governing Body, not all the Anointed, and only when acting as a composite group.

Evil Slave
    The Evil Slave can only be one of the Governing Body, if they start mistreating the brothers.

Domestics
    The domestics include both the anointed and the other sheep, not just the anointed. The appointment was in 1919.

All the Belongings
    The appointment over "all the belongings" is when the Governing Body arrive in heaven, and after the start of the great tribulation. (See pp.8,22)

See Who is the Faithful and Discreet Slave?

What you say is very typical. A JW will think and notice some disturbing information, but then cognitive dissonance kicks in and they cut off, their eyes can quite literally glaze over, and then they recite the party line.

A JW can remain in the doubting state for their entire life, or they can wake up at some point. It usually takes an emotional event of some sort to push them through the cognitive dissonance and start acting on their concerns.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I was told you have to attend all the meetings befor it makes sense.

• Quandry
    Quandry

"allot of things they said we believed, I didn't realize,"(LOTS of that)

"I have to study it more, because it's so different to what I thought we believed," etc.

And it doesn't even matter if they understood the "old light" or didn't or understand the "new light" now or don't...they will just nod, parrot the answers from the WT magazine, and go home feeling "even if it isn't the truth, it's the best place to be."

• noonehome
    noonehome

jwfacts: "A JW can remain in the doubting state for their entire life, or they can wake up at some point. It usually takes an emotional event of some sort to push them through the cognitive dissonance and start acting on their concerns."

Bingo. This has been my exact personal experience, although I'm not in any position to leave anytime soon, but you're completely right.

• moshe
    moshe

JWs are forward looking people and the latest Watchtower is as fresh as a new roll of toilet paper- they conveniently forget what the old WTs got used for.

• sspo
    sspo

Ask them " What is the purpose of Jehovah keeping this new light or understanding hidden for over 90 years" ?

What purpose did it serve?

So glad i don't have to play the game of keeping my mouth shut when i knew all of doctrines didn't make any sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit