All Things Fulffilled In The1st Century

by maccauk11 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• maccauk11
    maccauk11

All things were fulfilled in the 1st century.It was obvious The Messiah was talking to the people in that generation not a generation 2000 years later.

Christianity has for 2000 years placed itself in the shoes of those 1st century beleivers and think all things pertainott hem today.When infact none of it does. The Prohecise of The Messiah cmae true in the 1st century including revelation which is symbolic, metaphorical apocolyptic language showing all tha thad been done . The Kingdom is here.The King rules and has done for 2000 years. We live in the spiritual new jerusalem and will never die.

There is no more physicla representation of the Kingdom.It was done away with in the 1st century. The New Covenant is psiritual and eternal and has no need of any physical representation of the real one

• rocketman
    rocketman

Spellcheck.

And please don't tell us that your English isn't very good.

• designs
    designs

All you can say about Jesus is he takes his own sweet F*&^%$ng time.

• mP
    mP

Its funny how all religions are about princes and kings and kingdoms. The two faction of Islam main disagreement is who officially took over when MOhammad died. Jesus wants to be king over the earth. Buddha was a prince. The Dalai Llama is of course another king as is the Pope who is called a prince.

Why are all these poor people so concerned a about the selfish kingdom aspirations of these rich aresholes.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Well, that kicks Revelation 21:4 into fairytale land!

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Preterism doesn't work for some of us because of 2 things:

1. Some from the 1st generation were never to die. That is, there were two groups in the 1st Century -- those chosen to die and then need to be resurrected and those who would remain alive until Christ's return. This proves Christ was not to return within the lifetime of a normal generation. At any rate, some from the 1st Century are still alive and so when he says this generation would not die out until he returned, it wouldn't matter how long that took since none from that generation would ever die.

2. CHRONOLOGY: The chronology for the 1st and 2nd coming is based in prophecy and there are three prophecies that have to coordinate together to establish the precise year of the 2nd coming.

(a) The "7 times" prophecy dates the 2nd coming 2520 years from the fall of Jerusalem.

(b) The "1335 days" prophecy dates the 2nd coming 45 years after the end of Jewish exile, thus after November 30, 1947.

(c) The "70 weeks" prophecy requires Christ to fulfill the 70th week. The 70th week of the 1st coming ended in 36 CE. Counting 70-week period from then until now (4 x 490 = 1960 + 36 = 1996) shows the 70th week of the 2nd coming would be from 1989-1996.

So for those who follow chronology, therefore, when Christ said some from this generation would never die meant he was saying some would live over 1900 years until he returned.

THE REALITY OF THE ELECT: So just for the record, for the elect, we know of Paul and John who have never died, still alive from the 1st Century and so in that sense the generation of Christ's time have not passed away until he arrived in 1992.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

THERE ARE TWO FULFILLMENT FOR "THIS GENERATION":

1. The reference to that generation beginning with a world war (i.e. "nation vs. nation and kingdom vs. kingdom") that would not end until Christ's return, thus limiting all the signs and the 2nd coming to within an 80-year period. That is, from 1914-1994.

2. The fact that some persons from the 12 tribes of Israel along with others like John and Paul who were selected never to die over the centuries, means that some from that generation of Jesus' time have never died and thus that fulfills that literally, some from his own generation would still be alive upon his return -- only they would not have a normal lifespan, but one that extended over 1900 years until his return.

So for some, this is why preterism doesn't work when one simply presumes that when Jesus said some from this generation would still be alive when he arrived would be within a normal person's lifespan.

But, again, we also have the reality. Christ did return in 1992, and that does not contradict the "this generation" not dying out before his return.

But here is a criticism of preterism. Clearly there is a context that many would have to be resurrected upon Christ's return, perhpas the majority. These resurrected would join those of the elect still alive when Christ arrives. So that indicates under the best circumstances that Christ would not return until many had died out, that is, the majority of that generation. But also, for this to be fufilled in the 1st Century it would mean some who had died within a normal lifetime would also have been resurrected shortly thereafter. But for what? Are they still alive now?

So anyway, the CHRONOLOGY establishes the precise year of Christ's return, which is 1992-1993 and so "this generation" never passing away until then simply means someone from that generation would never die, which is what Christ said.

• maccauk11
    maccauk11

They were resurrected and received there rewared to serve as Kings and Priests. "Truly i tell you, you will not finish goinf through all the ribes of Israel befroe the son of man comes in his Kingdom. If we want to deny the Messiah was talking to those in his day not us or anyone in the future. They are resurrecxted .At death we have that assurance that in the blink of an eye we will be changed and live forever

• maccauk11
    maccauk11

The Kingdom is for every tribe nation and tongue and people, it has no national boundaries, it has no denomination, all we got to do is leave the things of the world behind including the counterfeit teachings the churches and enter in, there is no death, no pain, no suffering, it is eternal.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was studying parallel Synoptic gospels and John in a church group that the rector led. A rector is the head priest in a regular parish. I did not think that the crowd was very sophisticated. To my shock, he voiced his personal opinion that the worse thing that ever happened to Christianity was the closing of the canon to new works. There is so much great Christian writing over the centuries that is better than the works in the Bible. He said a central tenet of Christianity is that Christ is ever present and works in our time.

There was nothing so special or magical about the First century that it deserves special treatment over all subsequent periods. I do not live in heaven so I do not know if people were resurrected in a timely manner. The traditonal mainstream Christian is that the kingdom arrives in different senses. Jesus announced it was already present before his death. Others believed Jesus had to become Christ for the kingdom to start. Later, around 1,000 C.E. people believed it would finally h appen. Paul's genuine writings clearly show that Paul first believed that the kingdom would arrive any day. Later, he had to encourage those who doubted any kingdom b/c Jesus' actual followers were dropping dead with time. I was taught the kingdom arrives in all these formulations and yet is also future until the end of time.

The Witness view assumes no Jesus follower in real life ever told their children about Jesus or the church's teachings concerning Jesus. Heck, I tell high school students about the 1960s and the Beatles and Dylan. They are not God. Interestingly, my best discussions about Beatles and Dylan are with high school students. Many people were illiterate so their memories were much better than our own. I interacted with illiterate people at work. Their brain power and recall is remarkable. Also, what was Christ doing hanging out in heaven doing nothing for countless centuries until the WT emerged. Lazy Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit