I hope this is a joke.

by dazed but not confused 49 Replies latest social humour

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It's true. Education in the US is about dumbing down children and shaping their attitudes, and it gets harder to find young people who actually have reading and math skills.

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

• never a jw
    never a jw

That is proof that the time for being a passive observer is over. America and its religious right (and JW's too) are becoming ridiculous and quite the laughing stock among the industrialized nations. Time to fight back.

• talesin
    talesin

That's the whole purpose of the 'free public' education system ... it trains kids to be good little wage slaves. In what universe is it healthy for kids to sit in a classroom 6-8 hours a day? It's nuts!

tal

• cantleave
    cantleave

It's true. Education in the US is about dumbing down children and shaping their attitudes, and it gets harder to find young people who actually have reading and math skills.

The UK is going to pot but at least we haven't stooped to these levels of stupidity.

• mP
    mP

Tale:

Not quite, whats nuts is teaching them garbage instead of useful things. I remember in schools computer studies was nonsense like what angle the desk should be when it should be more about programming etc.

• steve2
    steve2

Simplicity works best with these pea-brain "students" of fundamentalist beliefs - use their slogans on them.

For example:

The next time someone tells you the serpent talked to Eve, ask them, "Were you there? The next time someone claims the Lord God committed genocide, say, "He can't have - you still exist, don't you?"The next time someone claims the Bible is full of contradictions, ask them, "why are you denying the power of the Holy Spirit and spurning the Lord God's love for you?"

• talesin
    talesin

mP - well, that fits the plan - kids who will grow up to perform 'service' jobs will be more concerned about the comfort of their wage slave job. Anyone can learn to be a programmer nowadays (the days of Cobol, and other such 'complex' computer languages are over, for the most part, and the industry is looking for 2-year certificate people to do their 'customer tech support' - they are cheaper than hiring people with a BSc or MSc), and there are a gazillion of those people who can't find employment. "Thinking" jobs are fast disappearing, and it's getting to the point where few people will be able to continue on to University after they graduate high school because of rising tuition costs (at least that is true here in Canada).

Truly, I can't conceive of what the next generation will do for work .... except, like I said, 'service' jobs, mostly things like call centres providing customer service (almost choked on that phrase 'customer service' haha)m, taking care of us aging boomers in nursing homes, prison guards and other jobs related to the BOOMING prison industry, that sort of thing .... oh, and of course WAR! Those are the only fields that are growing rapidly atm.

Service trades are needing a new generation; ie, plumbers, electricians - traditional blue-collar stuff. Again, we are talking basic math and english skills only, and a short vocational training period of 2 years, with a journeyman / apprentice number of hours to follow.

That's reality as I see it, though I'm open to other people's thoughts on the subject ...

tal

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

coming from ppl who deny god!lol

• Heaven
    Heaven

Holy Facepalm!

Years ago as a kid, I remember refuting my Mom trying to tell me that the Earth is only about 6,000 years old. I said to her that carbon dating proves it is much older than that. She went on to refute carbon dating by saying that the big bag of water that encompassed the Earth had had affect on this and made it unreliable.

My reaction was this .... .... .

Now my Mom was a smart lady. But being uneducated or even worse, educated but not accepting real, physical, natural truths and laws is just plain wrong, scary, and intellectually dishonest.

• bohm
    bohm

talesin: Anyone can learn to be a programmer nowadays (the days of Cobol, and other such 'complex' computer languages are over, for the most part, and the industry is looking for 2-year certificate people to do their 'customer tech support' - they are cheaper than hiring people with a BSc or MSc),

In other words, hiring a 2-year certificate programmer because complex languages are somehow dead is about as good a bet as taking educational advice from someone with no industry knowledge :-).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit