count down to extinction

by heathen 32 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

With all the escalating violence in the world today and senseless barbarism, how many people on this site are still living in any sense of security.Do any of you have a bright outlook for the future of the world we now live in ?Is the UN the answer to world peace ?Personally my out look is dim .I have seen plenty of posts about the God that will annihilate the earth by killing 99% of all people that do not follow his instructions but the way I see it is that mankind has spent the past 100 years trying to find more powerful means to destroy the population and the planet due to paranoia .Can such an untrusting and suspicious species exist with such deadly arsenals at their disposal? I believe it is just a matter of time before something gives and we are living in the MAD MAx movie. This is my first thread ,so be gentle and thanks for any participation.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Was this written in the 1300's? Because to me that was the most barbaric, gloom and doom time that the world has ever seen so far! Please no black plauge for me!!!!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Why do some many people get all worried about this if they truly believe that their omnipotent deity is lying in wait to save them all and send them to heaven or a paradise earth?

Where's the faith?

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    With all the escalating violence in the world today and senseless barbarism

Prove it's 'escalating'. Actually in many places it's decreasing - if you go by crime statistics.

Fact is things are going the same as they always have. You are still living under the hand of the WTBTS's gloom and doom message whereby you focus on overy bad thing that occurs in the world - ignoring the many wonderful things that happen on a daily basis. I personally find that for he most part people treat each other about the same as they always have. There are hateful people in the world, but they are far from being the majority.

As for myself, I would rather live in no other time in history - the world we live in is amazing - and opportunity abounds for most people. 200 years ago you were high society or you were basically a slave. No in-between. You lived a very hard life and died young. Often with no teeth .

• Xander
    Xander

Once you get out of the Watchtower's mindset (and similar doom-and-gloom control groups), you'll see that we are actually doing pretty good for ourselves.

The UN is a VAST improvement over the League of Nations, and even that was better than nothing.

I mean, really, how long has it been since the last world war? 60 years? That's almost unheard of! (the Victorian era didn't have any major global conflicts, either, so we still have a little bit to go before any records)

How long has it been since the last plague that kills 25% of the civilized world's population?

Crime and violence ARE down in most 1st world countries. Standard of living is higher than it has ever been. And we have the internet!

Yes, mankind DOES have the ability to pretty much screw up life on the planet. But, it is a testament to our abilities that we haven't used such capabilities yet. Whatever you might think of the Chinese, Russians, and other nuclear powers...(aside from a few crazy individuals here and there)...no one really wants to start a nuclear war. And a few crazies, no matter how hard they try, just aren't going to be able to kill everyone on Earth.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • 2SYN
    2SYN

I still worry sometimes that some idiot will press the Big Red Button by accident!

I'm sure glad we don't vote anymore like we did before we got the truth. Now we get to complain about everything ALL the politicians do!
    [SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate, Africa

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

At the risk of saying 'Peace and security' and fuling the end of times...I feel pretty safe. I know lots of people are in wars now, but not as bad as it has been in the past. With technology today, we can see and hear it first hand, so it seems more barbaric. Do we have any roving bands coming into our cities raping and pillaging our hoarses and riding off on our beautiful women? No. Our cars might get broken into and stuff, but generally I feel pretty safe.
    I read in an Awake! that the number of reports of earthquakes in the last 100 years are more than those in all of human history...DUH
    We can detect them better. The number of stars we can detect has increased greatly in the last 100 years, does that mean there are more stars this century than in all human history? This kind of logic is flawed big time. It might seem reasonable at first, thats why a lot of people fall for it.

• You Know
    You Know

Apostate JW's enjoy blaspheming God with such nonsense. The truth is that Jehovah's word says that humans, driven by hell-bent lunatic angels, are going to provoke a genocidal holocaust, which the Scripures refer to as the great tribulation. That's what is in the process of igniting at the present moment. / You Know

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Life expectancy has doubled in the last 100 years. I can expect to live longer than any other persons in history, and my children even longer (except of course, for the fantasy figures of Bible times).

Crime has dropped in North America for every one of the last nine years.

I have never known a military draft, and my children likely will never know one either.

Our last recession lasted three months.

There is so much food being produced that farmers in my part of the world can't sell it for any reasonable price.

In general, there has never been a better time to be living.

Kiss my ass, Jehovah. It DOES belong to man who is walking to direct his own step.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree with Namewitheld. Mankind came closer to extinction in the 1300s (and the 600s before that) than any time since the so-called "time of the end" began.

Ignorance is theocratic bliss.

YouKnow, I challenge you to give us a count of how many times on this board you have "run ahead of the organization" and predicted catastrophe upon cataclysm, with a PERFECT record of error.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit