I need some serious advice...

by confusedteenager 37 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedteenager
    confusedteenager

I'm almost a year out of High School and of course, I'm not in college. I'm a pioneer (sigh) with little to no work experience and having a really hard time finding any work. I want to go back to college, but it's going to be difficult now that I'm a pioneer, and my parents cannot really afford the loans that will incur should I pursue going to college. What are some alternatives? I know I cannot stay in this situation forever. Sooner or later I would like to have a steady paying job that would afford the ability to move out of the house and start living my own life the way I want to...but right now I just don't see how I'm going to go about doing this. I don't even know what kind of career or field I want to get into. It's really stressing me out. I feel like my life is just in limbo right now. Seriously just going through the motions, when I really want to start making things happen.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Edited to say I misunderstood at first.

You have to make some hard choices and be prepared to stand by them. If pioneering and doing other things is tough, the standard advice is to stop pioneering. First of all, your primary job is to graduate h.s..

I am not an expert on college, but there are people that can help you find scholarships and/or internships and the like. Start with your h.s. guidance counselor and do internet searches to see how to pursue such things.

I know I can type these suggestions easily, and that your actually doing them will be hard in your JW situation. But if you want to be free, you need to start doing some difficult things.

• franticfran
    franticfran

Hi,have you discussed this with your parents? Most parents want the best for their children but most of all they want them to be happy. Its not easy when people have expectations of you and of course you will want to please your Mum and Dad,but this life is not a dress rehersal,we only get the one shot at it so it takes strength to speak up politely and kindly and let them know that pioneering is perhaps not for you at this time. If college is out of the question what about getting some more training? and then perhaps later finances may change or a student loan may be available? Talk to them, I wish my daughter had, rather than just going along with what we expected. She left school at fifteen and had to go back to school in her twenties to get a degree,I deeply regret that I encouraged her not get an education years ago. Go on,talk to them,they love you and will want you to be happy in your choices. Good luck.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

confusedteenager,

You can contact a guidance counselor in the school you graduated from and seek an appointment to sit and discuss what options are available under your circumstance. If you live in a developed nation my guess is one of these counselors will be happy to help. Be frank.

Finding our way in the real world is not easy, but it must be done and the only one who can manage your life is you. But there is help available all around us, if we go looking for it.

Try my suggestion and let us know how things work out.

Marvin Shilmer

• Mum
    Mum

Is there a community college where you live? That would be a good place to get started.

I recommend that you go to your high school guidance counselor or an officer at the nearest community college or university and ask them to administer some vocational interest tests, such as the Strong's Interest Inventory. There may be some tests online that you can take for free as well. Google "vocational interest tests" and "free online MBTI." The MBTI is like a personality test, telling you what you're likely to be good at as well.

There is a lot of financial aid available, some of which does not have to be paid back. Do not go deeply into debt to get your degree. It would be better to work part-time and go to school part-time.

You can start slowly by taking just one or two core curriculum classes, such as English and History. Everyone has to take those, so it's good to get them out of the way while you're deciding on what your major will be.

Warning: Do not go to a proprietary school, but do go to a state-run college or university. Those schools that advertise a lot and promise you the world have low academic standards, and I've seen people graduate from them knowling no mare than they did when they started. They are also super expensive, whereas your state university is publicly funded and tuition is kept as low as possible.

A poster on this board who calls himself Balaamsass has stated that he would like to start a fund to help JW's go to college. I don't know him personally, but you might want to PM him to see if he can help you get started. Also contact AAWA (jwactivists.org). They are a new association set up to help JW's. They are brand new, and may not have much money in their coffers yet.

Above all, don't get discouraged and don't give up. I graduated from college at age 37, after leaving the JW's at 32 and starting over. I had some help - lots of it.

I hope what I've said will get you started

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Oh, you are a year past h.s.. I thought you were a year short. If h.s. counselors are out of the question, start with the internet search and include college counselors. Typically, there is a financial counselor at smaller colleges that try to help people start or continue an education.

If you are a year past h.s., you are going to have to take a hard adult decision and tell your folks you would rather get an education and work instead of pioneering.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Wow, confused teenager, it's wonderful you are considering alternatives. College is a wonderful consideration for a starter. Why not walk into a local community college and talk with a counselor. You can take a test of career inclination. You may qualify for grants and loans (caution). However, you will have to have determination too. Many students are not financially supported by their parents (my kids weren't). Many do parttime work through it. Will your parents let you live there while you go to some classes locally and as you gain your independency. It won't be easy. But I sense from your comment that pioneering won't be fulfilling to you, isn't now and never will be. Don't waste these years.

Studying will be different in college than the type of studying repetitious WT stuff,, College isn't the everything, but it is a spot as a stepping stone to further fulfillment. You're young and have a good future in this world as it is. Check it out.

So many best wishes.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

You have been given sound advice, confused. Definately check out the local community college. The counselors there should be able to direct you to grants and loans that are available. They are great starting points at a very reasonable cost, especially when your not sure what direction to go in. And a community college probably won't seem too awful to your parents, since you can stay home. I hope they will be supportive of your decision. They must be aware that the job market is tight, and that one day you need to be on your own and self-supporting. Better to do it while you are young. All the best to you!

• perfect1
    perfect1

Do you live in the US

if so, did you know that if your parents are middle class or below you likely qualify for a federal Pell grant, up to 5000$ per year which you do not have to pay back. I advise you to go to college. If you are scared to make the leap, you can take it step by step- educate yourself on what you need to do.

It is doable and worth the investment.

PM me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

If you are beginning to fell like it is too late, think what it must be like for a fiftysomething grandma! If you are unsure as to what sort of career you would like, those aptitude tests can really help.

To have a job that pays the bills with a little left over, that has decent hours and stimulates the mind, what can be better than that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit