I need some serious advice...

by confusedteenager 37 Replies latest jw friends

• sspo
    sspo

If your parents try to discourage you from stopping pioneering because the "end is near", remind them that the society has been saying that since

Just met a retired witness couple that have pioneered all their lives and now their Social Security income is less than a $1000 dollar a month and

receiving $280 in food stamp a month........... very sad situation to be in.

Do not wait, get an education.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

confusedteenager,

Tough situation. But you do have some options.

Even though you have graduated, you may be able to get some advice from the couselor at your old high school.

There are options for higher education. Consider starting at a 2-year community college. This is much more affordable than university and makes sense since you don't know what field you might liek to pursue.

Aternatively, there are vocational schools that you could consider as well, but that would require you having a definite interest in something.

BTW, you--as in YOU--could possibly qualify for student loans. So don't think it's all up to your parents. If they're at all trying to be faithful JWs they likely wouldn't support you going to college anyway!

Oubliette

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi confusedteenager, What do you want to study in college? If it is art or history, I would suggest picking a career that has a higher probablity of providing you more rewarding income and that you at least like or love. If you live in the USA, go to a local community college and talk to councilors there about financial aid and what careers are projected to provide greater demand and compensation.

Have you talked with your parents? Have you asked your parents how long the WTBTS has been saying the end is soon? Since the WTBTS said in the January 2013 Watchtower that the GB has made mistakes and the GB is releasing new light yearly, ask your parents what is the possibility that the end will not occur for another 80 years? If you continue to pioneer and do not get a good education, what is the possibility that you will need them to support you until you either get married to a successful brother or they die?

Nothing in life worth having is easy! Make your plans, weigh your upside and downside risks, and execute your plans. Learn to forgive yourself for mistakes that you will make. I know that the advice that I have written is easier to write than to live, but I use this same advice to help me focus on how to live my life.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Please know this, years pass quickly when you are slaving for this religion of dissappointments. Do not let this happen to you. Take the best advice here and heed it. Mine would be to look into grants and other financial help to go to a community college if there is one nearby. Get started now, it will pass you by. Even if not sure what to take, meet with a job's counselor at the local college and ask what fields are hot and see if one excites you. Good luck, there I said it, yes GOOD LUCK!!!! Hoping for better things for you than collecting addresses in a record book that could care less if you want to share "good news" of the windowless Kingdom hall.

• DNCall
    DNCall

This would only work if you are really motivated. It is possible to pioneer and attend college. Your parents might support this if you agree to assume a student loan in your name. I know someone who did this and he is now a CPA and a tax attorney. Of course, this is an exceptional case, but you should be aware of this possibility along with all the other good advice you are receiving here.

• jgnat
    jgnat

People write off artistry as a career too quickly. How about animators? The gaming industry is always looking for good artists.

It pays to spend a little time thinking about your interests and talents.

• QC
    QC

First thing is, get your mental state correct.

Just because JWs are wrong doesn't mean the Bible is wrong.

Protect your investment in workable Bible knowledge.

Because of computers and the Internet you can figure out where JWs went wrong.

Rinse out the toxic JW dogma, replace it with truth. (Not another religious denomination)

(Great resources: JWN post, Wikipedia, CERN science, history, YouTube, etc.)

Talk to x-JWs who have made the transition (not x-JW angry, atheist, 4 th century xians, etc.)

I'm available any time to direct you to great information.

God's spirit will become more powerful, now that you are closer to truth.

Find ways to stir (tactfully) your family to the truths you have learned.

Mental clarity will give you positive energy which employers will sense, and like.

Transfer your natural skills to the work place e.g. customer service, typing, sales, receptionist, etc.

Slowly fade from the JW routine (this should be easy as others are doing the same thing)

Read: Gentile Times Reconsidered, download item #9

Different translations http://bible.cc/job/38-1.htm,

• confusedteenager
    confusedteenager

Thank you everyone for the sound advice. I definitely have a lot of research to do as I contemplate what the next step is. Ultimately though, I think I am planning on attending a 2-year community college start out. The next step is just to figure out what exactly, how to go about it, and also long-term whether or not I actually want to fade from the organization.

• Ding
    Ding

Community college and online colleges are generally less expensive than others.

I would recommend figuring out what you would enjoy and be good at as a career before locking in a college path.

You don't want to spend years climbing a ladder only to discover that the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A Bachelor of Arts, or Bachelor of Arts prep is a good general start, isn't it? That could lead to a variety of careers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit