Being honest & fair, can you think of anything that the Watchtower does that's beneficial to the public?

by Theocratic Sedition 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I'm curious, as where I reside there's about to be a major brouhaha over the tax exempt status of a major player in this area. Reading and hearing the arguments from both sides conjured thoughts about the tax exempt status of religions and the arguments associated with that issue. A significant portion of the arguments related to that issue center around how a tax exempt organization benefits it's community. It made me question whether the Watchtower and JWs, but primarily the Watchtower, do they benefit the community in any way that you can think of? Cuz I'm striking out.

• sir82
    sir82

The WTS has, on occasion, provided the impetus for drug abusers / alcoholics to straighten out their lives and become productive members of society. Granted, the actual work was done by individual JWs "on the street", but their motivation & backing come from the WTS.

Of course, any number of organizations could have done the same, but JWs were the ones to actually get it done in those cases.

I'm not saying that outweighs their faults. But it is something positive.

On the other hand, Hitler was an animal lover and got the trains to run on time.

<Godwin's law - first!>

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

they provide non smoking environment if they hang out with the witnesses.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

That's not so unusal Lama.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

They teach deaf people how to masturbate.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    provided the impetus for drug abusers / alcoholics to straighten out their lives and become productive members of society

Alright, that's something. Can't deny that.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

There have been occasions where they did help some in the community to learn how to read and write.

Naturally most of it came from studying the publications with some that were illiterate in the territory but still I have seen where they have used that in their arguments/reasoning of benefiting the community or general public.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    There have been occasions where they did help some in the community to learn how to read and write.
    The WTS has, on occasion, provided the impetus for drug abusers / alcoholics to straighten out their lives and become productive members of society.

Ok, that's two. Two more than I could think of as well.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

They give the general population practice at getting cult members to leave them alone.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

They support local businesses like McDonalds/Starbucks/local donut shop.

They support big oil more than the average citizen.

They patronize local garage and yard sales.

Of course none of these are the "Watchtower", simply rank and file JWs trying to make serve-us time pass by more quickly.

The WTBTS itself is a leech on society, except when they are engaged in a commercial activity like flying a GB member across the world and putting him up in a five star hotel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit