No more big District Conventions?

by serenitynow! 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

So I went to the hall today for a funeral and took a look at the bulletin board. I was surprised to see a letter stating the DC for Michigan would be held at the local assembly hall instead of the big convention center in Ohio where it had been held the past few years. Have you all heard about this?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

My wife's is also at an assembly hall. I don't think there has been any formal announcement that this is how they are going to do things, but its undoubtedly a cash grab/cost cutting measure.

I don't think its everywhere in the US yet, simply because of logistics. But they were pretty stupid to not do this sooner. Fully paid for assembly hall holding an assembly has got to make a lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the WTBT$ than a rented facility.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Good Point, LG.

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

marked

• Satanus
    Satanus

More downsizing. Events like the 1957 assembly in new york are memories of another era, another religion, almost.

S

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Yep, that religion had balls. The new guys just want to keep things running long enough for them to enjoy their cushy lifestyle followed by their 'heavenly reward'.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They still have some at private auditoriums but I looked after you mentioned it and they certainly are putting more and more at Assembly Halls.

Hopefully, it will get easier and easier to do that.

• sd-7
    sd-7

All I can say is, don't believe everything you read on a bulletin board while going to a funeral.

In my area, they're still having the convention at a larger venue. So perhaps they will still do so for many unless they see some specific reason to do otherwise. The cash JWs bring into the areas with larger venues is probably a big reason for the bigger stadiums and the like to offer them a good deal. I don't know about you, but I'd try hard to make sure 6,000+ people kept coming back to fuel my city's economy every summer.

Assembly halls would be a good choice, but the stadiums and all that bring with it the potential for press, and therefore, a bit of free advertising. Thus, the potential for more recruits just reading it in the papers or finding out about when JWs go to their hotels, restaurants, and the like. There are a number of good reasons to do it that way, reasons that could--could--be worth the cost.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

Of course, with all that said, I'd be all for Assembly Halls, 'cause it would be a heck of a lot easier on me rather than having to drive for 2-5 hours to a convention city and deal with the additional costs associated with that. Being able to return home after the day's session, assuming I attended (which I will this year), would be a great respite from the dark powers of a 3-day convention.

--sd-7

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Todays big stadiums cost a lot of cash, particularly for 3 days straight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit