No more big District Conventions?

by serenitynow! 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mum
    Mum

Besides cost savings, smaller assemblies will draw less attention. There may come a time when just as many apostates as JW's are present for assemblies. The number of protestors might outnumber the number of attendees - admittedly, not likely but not as far-fetched as it sounds.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Smaller a$$emblies would also limit marriage opportunities. They are not supposed to even look outside their own religion, and if you restrict the pool to the same 700 or so people, you are more likely to have people left without. Also, you are more likely to force people to go against their personal preferences. Mixed racial marriages where neither side is attracted to the other become more common, limiting the enjoyment. It also limits the thrill of having that possibility when you have the same crap pool, and increases the chance of getting a really bad marriage (the husband is a tyrant).

And, by cutting out travel, the washtowel is continuing its trend toward blah-ifying life for the witlesses. Doing this prevents anyone from really developing their souls, leaving them dependent on joke-hova (who wants us enslaved) for "salvation(??)". You stay in the same general area all the time, and if you want to go beyond your cocoon, you must either join Beth Hell, go on a stupid mission where they want you, or "work where the need is greater". Otherwise, you are stuck within your territory, and the range of experiences is extremely narrow. I have been noticing this narrowing of range of experience--the songs, boasting sessions being combined, limited comment range, and fewer extra-curricular events.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

serenitynow!: So I went to the hall today for a funeral and took a look at the bulletin board.

sd-7: All I can say is, don't believe everything you read on a bulletin board while going to a funeral.

ADCMS: Bulletin board?

Official WT terminology is "Information Board". Please try to keep up with Jehovah's Celestial Chariot and speak the "pure language" of God's Theocratic Arrangement!

I don't think it's been called a "bulletin board" for 35 or 40 years. Didn't you get the "New Light" memo? LOL.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Conventions have always been about the money first, so downsizing but getting the same net profit makes sense to the Finance guys at H.Q

I think they may find a net loss of individuals actually results, the big DC's did strengthen faith in the Borg, and provide a time for bonding with JW's that will no longer ever meet eachother. The new Assy Hall deal will seem far less important, especially attending on the Friday.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

The conventions in my area are still held at rented areanas. The closest Assembly Hall is in use something like 50 weekends a year, so it would be impossible to also use it for 8 weeks of DCs held here at 5,000+ a piece.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Whatever happens, it will be a financial decision. If they make more money by renting a building and getting a kick-back from the city then so be it. If they make more by tricking the R&F into donating the funds, and building a multi-million dollar facility complete with ATM machine, so be it. It's all about money.

I wonder if the R&F will be forced to travel further and further. If the WTBTS wants to play up the persecution angle, then what a great way to do it. The END is so close now. Satan is attacking us in court, and with the internet. The major cities won't let us rent facilities anymore. Will we be like Jeremiah and travel wherever the GB direct us to go? Then, will we show our appreciation by giving our valuable things?

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Yep, that religion had balls.

You're right, LG. Back then they wanted publicity to advertise the king and his kingdom: "We're here. Get used to it." Now it's more like they want to fly under the radar. Wonder why?

I don't think it's been called a "bulletin board" for 35 or 40 years.

LOL! "Bulletin board" went out with "back call" and "rendezvous." That happened just after my family started attending in 1972.

• moshe
    moshe

I think the WT is in damage control mode- the Internet is really defining who the JWs are and what the WtachTower is as a religion. They really have no viable ways to overcome negative news-- Keeping assemblies small allows them to stay under the radar of the local press.- heaven forbid some reporter asks an elder about the Conti case or shunning.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I have hered that there will big international conventions during the summer 2014. MAybe we could speculate a bit of new ligt coming up then, 100 years after...you know what!

• moshe
    moshe

2014 is a big year for JWs!! I hope they want to be reminded about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit