Elder and MS Extortion!

by jw07 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Why such a oddball figure, instead of just an even $10,000. It may be that the circuit has been hit with an unexpected fine or expense and they don't want to admit it. Or was someone sued? I wouldn't give a penny until full disclosure. We had an incident in a cong. we were in. The COBE [P.O at that time] got up and told us the elders could get a smokin' good deal on a new lawn tractor and then proceeded to pass a resolution to buy it. When the cong. all agreed he had the nerve to wipe his brown and say "Whew, I'm glad you all agreed, because I already bought it!" Misappropriation of cong. funds at the very least. Brother of the Hawk

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

New Cars for CO servants or down payments for leases

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Intreresting... what is the method they want to use to collect these donations? Are you just supposed to put extra in the contribution box as circumstances permit, or are you supposed to give it directly to an elder? Can the donations be made by check? I too would rule out a scam.

• steve2
    steve2

What ever the reason for the request for money and confidentiality, it seems unethical and inappropriate that a married man should make a donation and not only fail to discuss it with his wife but take out the money without her knowledge.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Your CoBE booked a 10-day all inclusive Carribean cruise on Carnival for he and his wife.

Just think of it as a going away present, donate and then fade out of the little JW cult.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Go to the CO or phone Bethel and double check. Even in a society full of oddness this is a particuarly odd approach. Question one or two of the elders. Something is not right about this one.

Of course, this could be a belated April Fools ;-)

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

JW07 - That happened twice to me during the time I was an elder. Both times were local not circuit-wide though. They had a meeting of all the elders in a double KH with 7 congregations and said they were asking US for $$$ bc of a "pressing need" related to building a new assembly hall. It felt like a shake down at the time...and I was a total drone for the WT then!

• whathappened
    whathappened

This is downright extortion. Jehovah doesn't need your money. Don't give them a penny!

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Exact amounts like that in the past were to buy trailers and cars for Circuit Overseers. They later did away with that. Perhaps the C.O. needs something and the local brown nosing city servant knows it is not kosher..the reason for secrecy.

We came up with similar amounts to buy Suburbans that could tow trailers for C.O.s in the past. One for a trailer. Had a cousin who was a C.O. did that to get trailers..his wife HATED staying in peoples homes.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Hopefully they will get precisely nothing. Without explanation about where the funds are to go and what they will be used for, no one should donate anything. It could be to protect pedophiles, it could be a scam pulled by a hounder, it could be any of a number of unworthy causes. If it was needed, say for emergency repairs on a building, they would be wise to inform all involved about the situation and ask everyone who can donate for that cause. Rather than restrict it to hounders and assistant hounders and not explain why the funds are needed--which leads me to believe something unsavory is going on.

Rather, save your funds and use it to buy something you are going to need yourself soon. One ounce of silver sounds like a wise investment with the amount--so long as the banks hold the price down, your window of opportunity to buy is open. Or, you could put the money toward something like batteries, chargers, and lanterns. You never know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit