Do other churches use the name Jehovah?

by barry 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• barry
    barry

I have seen on this site recordings of JW elders at tribunal meetings claim other churches hate the name Jehovah. One former baptist now JW elder said other churches hate the name and never use it. He should have known better than to say that. Please look at the following and there are many more hymns not included than these

Before Jehovahs awful throne. Adventist hymn 82 also Anglican hymn

Guide me O Thow great Jehovah. Adventist 538 also Anglican

Holy day Jehovahs rest 654 Adventist only

Sing to the great Jehovah's praise 105 Adventist also Anglican

Barry

• Woody22
    Woody22

lds church has it a number of times in their hymnbook

but believe it is referring to Jesus

• humbled
    humbled

It was commonly referred to in the USA pre and post Civil War. I'm reading the autobiographies of three black women preachers who did their work before the War and they use it all the time.

If the name is hated now it could be because the WTS has made it stink. I don't care to use it for that reason.

Maeve

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

While many Christian type religions stick to the message of the New Testament, which of course doesn't have the name Jehovah in it unless using the NWT, my limited expereince with a couple of groups shows they prefer to use the more accurate term Yahweh when appropriate. (Which of course in my JW trained mind, I subconsciously counter with, if you prefer to use Yahweh, then you should be consistent and use Yeshua instead of Jesus.)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Churches I've been to occasionally refer to God as 'Jehovah' or 'Yaveh' but not to the cultish degree that the JWs do.

I always thought it disrespectful to call your father by his name........Father is a far better way to address the almighty. (Not that I believe in god but hey, you get my drift).

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Folks who think other religious writers do not use the name Jehovah, perhaps they should check google books.

Long before Rutherford rebranded his religion as “Jehovah’s Witnesses” the English rendering Jehovah was widely used:

- https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=Jehovah&tbs=,bkv:f&num=50

If anything, usage was lessened after Rutherford’s rebranding of his religion for fear of being associated with Rutherford’s outright quackery. That is the effect “Jehovah’s Witnesses” has had on usage of “Jehovah” in the larger scope of things.

Marvin Shilmer

• *lost*
    *lost*

Marvin. good point.

the wt org is now bringing reproach on the name of Jehovah.

Jamaicans use Jah.

Just googled it and found a site www.bible.ca which states jw's abuse the name. It says jw's falsely altered the Bible and put in God's name into the NT, and it shouldn't be there. I never knew this.

It says there isn't even a J in Hebrew , greek, latin.

If they are wrong on this, as is being stated, and we know they are wrong on a lot of other things, then their whole religion crumbles, because they cannot possibly have Gods backing and Holy Spirit - therefore they are actually the apostates themselves, in ignorance, but still wrong.

they just can't see it. Blinded the minds of the believers.

• designs
    designs

The Baptists have several hymns using Jehovah.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

The Independent Presbyterian Church in Savannah, GA has 'Jehovae' etched above the entrance. If you seen the movie 'Forrest Gump' the church steeple was in the opening scene where the feather floats in front of it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Many churches use Yahweh, some even have it as the name of their Church/Religion.

It is simply another bit of totally erroneous JW lore that other religions hate the name.

Many Christians hesitate to use it because it is associated with the woman-hating, ethnic cleansing, child murdering and child raping god of the Old Testament.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit