Do other churches use the name Jehovah?

by barry 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

In the Old Testament of Chinese Bible, the LORD is translated to "Ye He Hua", that is Jehovah. Other Christian churches that I know also using the name Jehovah eg Jehovah Jireh (God the provider), Jehovah Nissi etc...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Its funny how an inconcequential doodle by a catholic monk has become so popular. The catholic church rightly inogred it, not suppressed, just ignored it. Its also funny how a cult that makes hatred of the catholic church and all things catholic its main pillar would take this minor catholic doodle and make it their namesake, their trade mark. Most churches also tend to ignore it. Certainly, they don't hate it.

S

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a popular Christian song with the name of Jehovah. Witnesses would hate it though because it speaks of God's grace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSDByrcWQV8

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Lots of religions use the name Jehovah. The first time I heard a TV preacher use it I was confused. Then one day out in service as a teen I saw it used in a scripture engraved on the side of a church. JWs want you think they discovered it and folks only use it because of them.

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

No they are not the only religion using the name. Here's the lyrics to my favorite gospel song:

Because of who You are, I give You glory
    Because of who You are, I give You praise
    Because of who You are, I will lift my voice and say
    Lord I worship You, because of who You are
    Lord I worship You, because of who You are.

Because of who You are, I give You glory
    Because of who You are, I give You praise
    Because of who You are, I will lift my voice and say
    Lord I worship You, because of who You are
    Lord I worship You, because of who You are.

Jehovah Jireh, my Provider
    Jehovah Nissi, Lord You reign in victory
    Jehovah Shalom, my Prince of Peace
    And I worship You, because of who You Are

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/v/vicki_yohe/

• rocketman
    rocketman

I attended a Baptist service some months back and they displayed their hymn lyrics on a screen, and I was surprised to see the name Jehovah. I was not aware that they used it in songs.

It was a strange feeling, being a Witness and attending this service in a clandestine manner, and seeing the name on the screen.

Incidentally, while I liked the service somewhat, with its casual dress and informal setting (not to mention people actually playing the songs on keyboards and guitar instead of the pre-recorded songs used at JW meetings) I didn't care for the sermon much, which was overly long and placed emphasis on going to hell if we don't get saved.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I go to a DoC church...they've a hymn with Jehovah in the title.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Russell called the "Great Pyramid of Giza"

" Jehovah's Witness in Stone "

This phrase also used in early books.

So the title: "Jehovah's Witness" was first applied to

an Egyptian Pyramid Russell thought held the "secrets of all prophecy"

Jehovah, is the English version of Yahweh:

Christian Churches that use the name Jehovah or Yahweh, are:

(1) Assemblies of Yahweh, (a Christian movement.)

(2) Sacred Name Movement( American religious group )

(3) House of Yahweh (black supremacist )

(4) Nation of Yahweh( founded by Yahweh ben Yahweh )

(5) Prophet of Yahweh ( American UFOlogist )

• Bella15
    Bella15

I would say all of them .... at least the ones I have attended or watched on TV ...

Like someone said before, not in the cultish way JWs do.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Just an alternate name for us, Barry! We do not necessarily deny alternate names. In fact, I even heard "Allah" used recently.

In the interest of the name Jehovah, I read a BULLCRAP article in a Watchtower publication that talked about some Protestant that argued with a JW about why the name "Jehovah" wasn't used in the printing of a Bible. The response was a hilarious one... something about re-printing costs? Just about everyone on here knows that "Jehovah" is the invention of a Roman Catholic monk. Well, guess what, the Protestant movement was originally a rejection of Roman Catholicism and SO... would it make sense for the Protestant churches to start recongizing the name a Roman Catholic monk made up as God's true name? Absolutely not. Knowledge is power.... get some.

Barry, because you were asking about music in America, here is one of my favorite songs. Many mornings, I listen to it on my way to work. In it, you'll hear the name "Jehovah Jirah" and "God". I so wish I could share this song with my JW friends. I'd love for someone to tell me where the song crosses the line of JW doctrine. They miss out on so much. :'(

This cult hurts.

More ethnic version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUaGoS2LW5g

Larger choir - mixed diversity (kinda cleansed for a broader audience - you'll be able to tell in the end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO2JPnxPmFg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit