Do other churches use the name Jehovah?

by barry 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Another tradition of some black churches is to have performers with dancing or mimes. In tradition with our culture, there's more color, the movements are more flamboyant, the voices are very assertive.

Maybe not fair, but I decided I'd much rather watch a mime act praising God than a training session on how to slam a householder with the finite wisdom of a group of men in Brooklyn.

I'm so angry for him... not with him... for him today. Can you tell? *sigh*

There are several small church postings of performances on Youtube. I wouldn't DARE show him a MIME version of the song - he'll swear the performers are worshipping the devil. :( Here's an example of two mime artists performing during a service - same song - you know, the one with the name Jehovah in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRnVqQsmJuU

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

I have been secretly attending christ the King church and they use the Jehovah in sermons and in their songs. I also have the bible app on my iphone and the american standard version also uses Jehovah. I think the reason why alot of churchs avoides the name Jehovah is because it leaves a sour, cultish taste in peoples mouth. When using that name, instead of drawing attention only to God, it draws attention to the witnesses and not in a good way

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Honeybucket: Congratulations for being so brave. :)

If you were to ask around, I'd have to guess you would be hard pressed to find a traditional Christian who would express an aversion to the use of the name "Jehovah". I had no clue that the JWs were teaching a mandatory use of this name and my knowledge about JWs probably fell well within norms. I just thought they leverage the name Jehovah cause they were? Jehovah's witnesses! Boy was I a moron.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Have a look at U-Tubes songs , their are dozens of various faiths that have arrangements of "Jehovah is He" from all over the world,and some are very catchy tunes. Also their are many translations of the bible which use the name Jehovah or its more correct term Yahweh.

Its just another JW lie to say christendom dont use it.

smiddy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've noted from reading history that Jehovah was used frequently during the Colonial and Federalist period. Some usage during the Civil War. Decent scholarship has shown that Yahweh is the correct usage. I don't understand the issue with the Witnesses except on an old Pyramidology timeline with Russell, though did it not start with Rutherford? Jews will not write out God. My classmates wrote G-d. The name is too holy to be pronounced. Jesus hardly uses it.

From my own study, I believe "I AM WHAT I AM" is a refusal to be named.

The Witnesses boxed themselves in with their usage. I would rather be a follower of an all-powerful God whose essence cannot be described by a name that humans use. It is a central fact of Judaism.

El seems to have more clout than Yahweh.

• barry
    barry

Thanks Nevernew for those wonderful videos. Doesn't mime come from that french bloke? The two videos entitled 'For every mountain' are amazing. The reason the WT wouldn't accept them is because its not exclusively from their cult. Most churches have music from other churches we go to an Anglican church and many of the hymns are the same as from other churches.

Jgnet thanks for responding with Jehovah Jireh ive never heard that before.

The negro people do have a real sincerety and expression not found in other races. They are so talented.

I must mention the songs I picked were ones with Jehovah in their title many others have the name Jehovah in the body of the lyrics.

• jhine
    jhine

Yes , lots of Christian teachers that I listen to on T'internet use the Name Jehovah . Not used so much in my local C of E church , but then it isn't actually God's name, I believe that Yaweh is a better pronounciation . I don't use it for the same reason as Humbled cus of it's association with the org . The irony also strikes me that , in fact , the last thing that they are is a witness to Yahweh , with their twisted theology . Satan sure does have a sense of humour !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit