How long have we waited? DATELINE

by biblexaminer 37 Replies latest social current

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

We have been hearing about DATELINE NBC since, what, last JULY?

Anyone have any clue how long it's been? I mean, after a while, it seems pointless.

Is Dateline backing out? Was there ever a program? I am calling 1-313-555-1212 to get the NBC tele.# today. I want to call and find out something... anything.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

I hear there's a Dateline episode coming out soon about the delay in the Datline episode. Set your VCR's. Powerful stuff.

• joelbear
    joelbear

WOLF!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOLF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone say, loss of credibility.

Joel

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

So... nobody knows anything ...

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

I have a funny feeling there is not going to be any airing of anything.

Maybe they(Dateline)very feel it's not news worthy.

Join the Watchtower or you will die.
    Only Jehovah's Witnesses have the TRUTH all other religions EVIL and from the Devil.
    You must beleive the Watchtower or you're going to die a painful death forever, isn't that really GOOD NEWS?
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm not understanding why this is a big deal? Dateline has taped a segment on the pedophile issue among JW's. They may or may not air it.

Just like every program they do.

Ex-jw's "want factor" for it to air was never a part of NBC's strategy.

On the other hand, since NBC has done a segment (at great expense), it is certainly NOT crying wolf to inform people that Dateline is covering the issue. In hindsight, a bit more restraint might have been wise, but it's no big deal, is it?

• joelbear
    joelbear

No big deal depends on your perspective.

The actual victims of child abuse who need and deserve to be taken seriously have a hard enough battle to be believed without having exaggerations and hyperbole and hype being foisted upon them.

Joel

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I'm with Six on this one.

Despite the terrible cost to the victims of JW policy on pedophelia, I seriously doubt the Dateline episode will cause any major national outcry. It definitely will help chip away at the white-washed image the Watchtower has cultivated for itself. Still, there are plenty of religious groups and organizations where these incidents take place other than Jehovah's Witnesses. I saw two major incidents at the previous church I attended, Southern Baptist, which has thousands of members and is well known, and it barely caused a blip in the media.

I hope the Dateline episode is aired. But it seems some here have hoped the airing of this program will be some major deathblow to the JW organization. It won't be, in my opinion. But it sure will help.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well Joel, doing nothing is not an option.

I find it doubtful that the dateline program, if it airs, will be full of exaggertions and hyperbole and hype.

OTH, if it doesn't air, anyone, especially the person(s) whose driving force brought the issue to the fore, can be forgivin for getting excited that Dateline taped the show in the first place.

The only "big deal" is the blow to our expectations if it doesn't air. We'll survive, no big deal.

Victims of WT pedophile policy are in a far better position than they were 1.5 years ago, simply as a result of light being shined on said policies.

• julien
    julien
    I seriously doubt the Dateline episode will cause any major national outcry.

Agreed. NBC knows that (1) Most people don't even know any JWs (2) Most people are rarely visited by the JWs (3) Every church has pedophile problems (4) most notably the Catholic church right now.

So John Q Public would see the Dateline show on JWs and think "so what, I don't know any, they haven't been to my door in years, big deal so another church has a few problems with pedophiles, why should I watch this? I am tired of hearing about this issue."

We ex's are keenly tuned into the WTS hypocrisy and habit of protecting the org instead of the victims etc etc, but average viewers aren't going to get that part. 9 months ago this show might have made a splash, but now I'm thinking why bother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit