Latest KM says we need to being willing to sacrifice our life like Jonah did!!!

by life is to short 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• life is to short
    life is to short

In case any of you wondered why those two poor women who were attacked by the pit bull and probably ignored warning signs of a dag being in the yard and posted signs went to the door anyway.

Here it is from the latest April 2013 KM front page titled "Take as a Pattern the Prophets-Jonah"

Paragraph #3 "When Jonah realized that his bad decision had jeopardized the lives of the mariners, he was willing to sacrifice his life. (Jonah 1:3, 4, 12) Later, when fulfilling his commission in Nineveh, he walked deep into the heart of the city, perhaps looking for a suitable location to proclaim the judgment of Jehovah. Those where the actions, not of a coward, but of a courageous prophet of God! (Jonah 3:3, 4) What about us today? God-given courage is needed to give a bold witness in the face of opposition. (Acts 4:29, 31) Self-sacrifice is required to invest time and resources in the ministry.- Acts 20: 24."

And for those of you who wondered why someone would go to a door who was afraid of dogs, terrified of them like I was but yet I still went was because I was being told this stuff in the car group. I was told that I had no courage, I was a coward, I did not trust Jehovah, and you name it I was told it.

I feel so horrible and it just breaks my heart for those two poor women, even if they recover they will never be the same, it just affects you mentally being attacked. I was attacked when I was a child thus my fear of dogs now. And for what did those women give their lives because of some garbage like this. It just makes my heart hurt.

LITS

• Emery
    Emery

I'd rather get eaten by a whale.

• designs
    designs

Shades of Jonestown...

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I think the "Youths Who Put God First" Awake issue. AKA: "The Dead Kids Issue" was an even more blatant attempt to legitimize their tenats. I like your example though!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Jonah's protests would have got him disfellowshipped in our day. He ran!

Jonah preached for three days and he was done.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It could be shades of Jonestown, but more likely in my opinion is that it is just pure guilt.

"You should be doing everything for the kingdom, willing to sacrifice your life. Oh, if you aren't sure you would offer your life, you should at least put money in the box when you feel guilty about your own doubt."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

How can anyone take the Jonah story literally ??????

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Concerning Jonah 1:12, the NICOT commentary on Jonah (p.211) has a footnote that says:

"Verse 12 is neither Jonah's final solution to evade his mission nor a gallant bid of vicarious sacrifice, which would upset the psychologocal tone of the chapter, since Jonah is the villain, not the hero."

The NAC commentary on Jonah presents a similar viewpoint. Jonah's offer to be thrown overboard is more of a recognition that he has run out of options to evade Yahweh. In the account, the 'pagan' mariners spirituality and courage is presented in a far better light than this professed worshiper of Yahweh (Jonah).

Jonah shows himself as indifferent while they (the mariners) do all they can to save Jonah. Only throwing him overboard as a very last resort. The account reminds me of some of the stories of compassion on the part of "apostates" towards people who are so 'righteous' to shun them in return.

For the Society to paint this in the way the OKM says indicates that someone is spiking the Bethel punchbowl.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LITS:

Sorry, I am not buying this explanation.

In reading through the Jonah account, I don't get the sense that Jonah wanted to throw himself overboard. It is just that he knew HE was the reason the ship was going through all the turmoil with the storm, etc. and he felt he was endangering their lives. This is the reason he threw himself overboard - not because of any desire to sacrifice himself like a mindless dope. Remember, he ran away to Tarshish because he wanted no part of the task he was expected to fulfill.

To me, this is not a parallel to modern day adherents of any particular religion being expected to deliberately go headlong like mindless robots into dangerous situations.

Even back in the day, I never thought of myself as "cannon fodder" for anybody and I tried to exercise caution. I didn't care how other stupid JWs thought of themselves.

Hopefully, this sad story about the recent dog attack on the JWs will make some people in the religion wake up and realize they have to exercise caution in their door to door work of dubious value.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

The tale of Jonah is an allegory, not literal...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit