JW women in critical condition after being attacked by pit bull while out in service

by JimmyPage 112 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

Jus' think Miz,

The WTS expects all actives to go D2D

Deaf, Blind , the crippled and crazed

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    If you have that "Beware" sign up and the dog attacks someone on the sidewalk or even your own walkway to your front door, you could be a BIG loser in a court of law.

I stand corrected. After looking at the house where the owner of the dog lives, there likely would be nothing to win in a court of law.

Rub a Dub

• life is to short
    life is to short

I was bitten seven times in field service. I was terrified of dogs but I was married to an elder and we were pioneers working where the CO deemed the need was great which was the country and everyone had dogs.

Even if the house holder had beware of dog signs posted, etc it did not matter because we had to go to warn them of Jehovah's wrath.

I was so scarred so many times, I would sometimes beg and plead not to go to a door because of the dogs but I was always belittled and put down and told that I lacked faith and where was my trust in Jehovah?

When I would get bit I was told it was my fault that I did not have enough faith, etc. I remember one time the householder was just in a really bad mood and she had this blue healer kind of dog, it was my door and she was just frustrated that us JW's were bothering her the dog was in the way and she kicked the dog out the door and as he ran by me he bit me hard right below my knee. It hurt like heck and I was not sure if I was bleeding, I was not so mad at the dog as he had just been kicked really hard himself but I was in so much pain. The lady slammed the door in our face and as I limped back to the car my husband asked me why I allowed the dog to bit me. I just wanted to cry.

The dog did not break my skin but it bruised really bad, it did tissue damage and I had this ugly bruise that took six months to heal.
    Another time the householder was rude and slammed the door in our face as we were leaving the yard I felt a sharp pain in my ankle and looked down to see a small dog biting me. The householder came running out scarred out of his mind that we were going to sue him. He grabbed the dog and apologized his brains out. I was bleeding but my husband told him I was fine and processed to spend the next hour talking to this guy who stood and listened just glad we were not going to sue him.

When we finally got back to the car my husband told me Jehovah let the dog bit me as now the householder was able to get a witness, I kid you not. There was no mention of how I was, if I was hurt, or needed to at the very least wipe the blood of my ankle, it was just carry on as usual.

To me what hurt more then the pain of being bit which truly did hurt but what hurt the most was the reaction of the JW's I was with including my husband and that was to put the blame on me. It was my lack of faith, my not being strong enough, my having a fear of dogs, my not trusting in Jehovah enough, etc. And for the longest time I believed all the garbage that I was being told. None of the other JW's seemed to have the problem with dogs that I did, and I bought into the fact that it must be me that Jehovah was mad at me, etc.

Not one JW ever asked me once after I was bit if I was OK or showed any concern toward me at all including my husband. I was blamed for every dog bit I received.

That pain I carry until today.

LITS

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

LTS, it sounds like you were married to a very cruel person. But I guess that is the Dubbie way, no sympathy. My husband's family (notJW) have a motto; If you are looking for sympathy, you will find it in the dictionary, it's between Shi* and syphilis.

I guess that is why I wasn't a very good JW, I never knocked on doors that said no soliciting, I was not going to antagonize someone who had so clearly indicated they do not wish to be bothered, what is the point? If anything, you would just be turning them away from your message. The same with Beware of Dog signs, they are there for a reason, why risk a dog bite?

While the dog owner is primarily responsible for the attack, if that sign was in the window, obviously it meant there was an aggressive dog in the home, I think the ladies are at least partially to blame, they should have skipped that door.

Still a tragedy, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I hope they recover fully.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

where does it say that they were jws?

"Levi Moore, an elder at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses at 2626 N. Lewis Ave., said the women were volunteers who walked door-to-door ministering and distributing religious literature."

Such a sad story. One woman was motionless on the ground - sounds ominous.

I once gave my entire presentation while a dog had my knee in its mouth. Ruined my pantyhose, but that's it. I couldn't believe the owner didn't do something about that. I finally gave the dog a karate chop on the nose.

• Ding
    Ding

LITS,

I'm very sorry to read about the insensitivity you had to endure.

The comments remind me of Job's three friends.

They thought they had God and Job all figured out too...

• cantleave
    cantleave

Fakesmile dogs being used as security is fine until they attack!

My dog barks and alerts us of intruders, that is fine. To train a dog to attack, is irresponisble and in many countries illegal. In the UK the dog would be put down and the owner prosecuted an d possibly imprisoned.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Could we send some flowers to the St. John Medical Center in Tulsa?

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

The dark gray dog, which Harrell estimated to weigh about 130 pounds, eventually turned its attention toward Harrell and charged at him, blood covering its mouth.
    The injured women lay motionless on the ground, he said. The dog’s owner, armed with a baseball bat, was hysterically screaming on her knees in the front yard, he said.
    Lance Snider, who heard the commotion just feet from his home and called the police after witnessing the attack, described what he saw as “disgusting and shocking.”

I sincerely hope they're both able to make a full recovery. I can't imagine the horror of being attacked like that.

I also wonder if both sisters had their Blood Cards up-to-date. I'm sure the HLC got there almost as fast as the ambulance.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis
    If you have that "Beware" sign up and the dog attacks someone on the sidewalk or even your own walkway to your front door, you could be a BIG loser in a court of law.

I stand corrected. After looking at the house where the owner of the dog lives, there likely would be nothing to win in a court of law.

Rub a Dub

LOL! That's called being judgment proof!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit