Still in with kids

by thinking_ability 40 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Welcome T_A

I don't know how old your ankle biters are but they need to be shielded from the bifurcated mindset of the JWs. Education is a key.

As for the questions about armageddon and the like you'll find your own answers. For me 'armageddon(TM)' is nothing more than fear tool the WBT$ used to frighten people into their cult. Armageddon is hardly even biblical.

The JWs may appear to love your kids but sadly many (not all), have only conditional love for them. When they reach a 'baptismal(TM)' age and they don't get dunked or go pioneering you'll soon see how the attitude turns sour. There is no real love in the congregations......never has been and never will be.

Nice to see more newbies here. It's proof the WBT$ are in decline. People just won't put up with their deception anymore.

Run like the wind away from tha dangers of cult indoctrination.

• thinking_ability
    thinking_ability

Pickler you've given me hope! Love that story.

I'm in the southern hemisphere Lois. The great down under haha.

• pbrow
    pbrow

TA, I am a second generation born in and it is my opinion that you dont need to completely shelter them from meetings or even relatives that are dubs. Like deus said above, encourage outside interests as much as possible.

If you remember back to your childhood years, like me they were not horrible but they were certainly "inside the bubble". When children only know life in the bubble they tend to stay in the bubble. BREAK THE BUBBLE!!

I have found with my two pre-teens that just getting them involved with sports, karate, dance, scouts, birthdays and sleepovers with school friends is all my kids have needed to simply live a normal life and view the dub lifestyle as.... lacking. Think of how awesome a gift you are giving your kids.... the gift of freedom that you did not have, you are breaking the bubble.

At some point you are going to have to take a stand especially with birthdays and other christian/secular holidays. If you are like me it just gets tiring after a while and you just say screw it, im out. Always remember this though, that YOU are not the one seperating your children from anything. Those "friends" and "family" that would seperate themselves from you and your children are at the end of the day, not worth keeping. Believe me, you will not lose the truly important family members, the ones who will not get in the way of you raising strong young adults.

Good luck, its a tough situation.

pbrow

• thinking_ability
    thinking_ability

Hi Punk, I love reading your posts. Its more my family I want to keep. My husband and I have a huge extended family which I love my kids to be apart of. Luckily they are both only babies so I have time for now.

p.s. My husband is very irregular but still believes its 'da troof'. Im so grateful i didnt marry a strong jw but still have to contend with his beliefs.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I feel for you, this is a difficult situation.

Reminds me of this. http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/249339/1/An-offer-from-the-Governing-Body

• Pickler
    Pickler

Hey T A, I'm in Australia too....Sydneysider!!

• pbrow
    pbrow

2+2, That is an awesome username. I use 2+2=5 as an example to my kids. For about a month I kept telling them that 2+2 = 5. They would always tell me im wrong and I would always tell them that I was right and that they had to listen to me because I was the adult. After the month was up I told them that I was proud of them that they stuck to their guns and didnt "cave" and how important it is to make sure you dont just believe everything someone says. They have to be able to show you why 2+2=5 and if they cant then forget 'em!

pbrow

• thinking_ability
    thinking_ability

Well I guess im from the 'little' great down under haha, im a kiwi. Love sydney tho, if i was gonna move away and start fresh sydney would be the place for me.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Definitely expose them to life. If you can 'study' with them, don't do the regular study thing, teach them about life, draw pictures, use nature, teach them to read and to enjoy looking up information for themselves, set them tasks like "what are stars made of", how old are dinosaurs. When they get older allow them to have "worldly friends", encourage them to be the best they can be, to study further, to reach for the stars :)

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

There are some great videos on youtube that show children how to get started, here is the first in a series.

Also, Richard Dawkins has a book, or ipad app, "The Magic of reality" that does a good job of explaining how to think properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP29vOogWvw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit