Are the Witnesses Really Losing Their Young People?

by What Now? 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

When I was growing up in the 80s there was a family of 6 kids, zealous parents. All but 2 are out. The 2 that are in married bad and got divorces.

When you speak about youth leaving, also consider that many may be getting married to get away from the parents and then they leave.

• Quendi
    Quendi

It’s fairly obvious from these posts that Jehovah’s Witnesses have and practice a religion which does not meet the needs of most of their young people. True, what is posted here is anecdotal and not a true statistical analysis, but all these anecdotes speak to the truth of the situation.

I saw similar attrition in the congregations I was a part of. It didn’t matter whether the parents were strong in the religion or just hanging on. Many of their children wanted nothing to do with the organization and severed ties when they left the nest. Yes, I did know some who stayed in, got married, and subsequently raised their own children as Witnesses. But few of the young people I knew have stayed.

Is the WTS aware of the situation? Of course it is. But like their followers, they are in denial. Whenever they have meeting and assembly parts for young people, they tell them that “full time service” is the route they should take. They should do nothing with their talents, gifts and abilities because exercising them will lead them into “Satan’s world.” So for all the “need-greaters” who go to some foreign country to pioneer, there are three others who are musicians, artists, intellectuals, business-oriented, etc. who will follow their dreams.

Quendi

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, well said.

• jgnat
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The Governing Body seems to be doing a lot more to reach out to young people, with all the new animated features, bible character cards in the magazines etc.
    The kids old enough to leave - teen-agers and up - don't care about this crap. I am skeptical of the OP experience and/or the conclusion reached -

From where I'm sitting, it seems as if the new generation of Witnesses is going to be stronger than ever.

A few years ago I did a count of my four grandparents and between them their 8 children and their children - all JWs. More than 60% have left the cult.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I don't see how one congregation is enough of a basis to declare that the young ones are still coming in and staying in, 95% of the time. I've seen congregations disbanded, and I don't hear declarations that all congregations are closing down.

One of things that concerened me when I was studying was the amount of kids with both parents in, who did not attend meetings, nor care to. I thought it so strange at the time. This was back in 1987. It certainly hasn't improved

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

Sorry I haven't read all the comments yet, and hopefully I'm not repeating anyone else, but growing up as a JW and then in my early 20's I did a count of all the "kids" I grew up with who were still in "the Truth" and I was still very much active as a JW at the time....anyway, out of the 20 something kids I grew up with, it was just me and one other person who were still in "the Truth," LOL I guess now it's just that one person since I have recently "left"

I also know in my late teens my family and I moved to a different cong. and out of about 10 around my age group, they ALL are no longer JW's.

I'd say it might just depend on your hall, but I do know a lot of people who leave once they are in their teens. I recently reconnected with one of those I grew up with who left when she was 16 and she told me "I knew it was a cult even at 16, that's why I left and did what I did to get away from it" (She had a problem with drugs in her younger years, that is what she was referring to). With anything it's always the unknown and the it depends as to why kids leave or not.

I'm hoping my nephew when he hits his teen years realizes what really is behind WT. It's funny because he has always been super pro-WT and wanted to get baptized at age 8 and he even went through the questions and the elders said no (thank God), and it's been two years now and he hasn't eve talked about it at all. I'm hoping he won't!

Great post!

G

• What Now?
    What Now?

Thanks all!

My observation is just based on the congregation that I grew up in, I was just curious to see if this is the case elsewhere.

I should clarify, this group of young people that does the friday night service is in their early to mid twenties. My youngest sister who is 22 is part of this group. I'm sure it is partly a social thing, but I do get the feeling that service actually does happen as my sister talks often about the good response they get.

This group of people that I grew up around are now in their late twenties to early thirties. A lot of them did get into trouble when they were younger (sex, drugs, drinking) but it seems all of them have come right back to being good witnesses. We used to be able to hang out with them and have a good time, now it seems conversations always end up being about how awesome the latest Watchtower was, or what we're looking forward to in the new system or how anyone who doesn't have the truth is so lost.

But this 'one size fits all worship' that the governing body believes in shows a real lack of insight on their part. There is nothing in place to address the very unique needs of children, teenagers, even women or couples for that matter. I was checking the website of a non denominational church near our house, and they have special ministries geared towards these groups. The Governing Body should take some notes.

• Joker10
    Joker10

That article didnt tell the whole picture..

With JWs, either you are in or you are out. How many people do you know that stop going to church for many years and still identify theselves as members of that religion, hanging on to tradition (something that JWs are told not to do)? I do not belive JWs have the lowest retention.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

At a recent Circuit assembly in the US Midwest, in the Sunday talk by the C.O. 'Needs of the Circuit', he made some interesting comments. He said that of the 146 pioneers in the circuit, only 3 were under age 20, and only 25 or so were under age 30. He said very few young brothers are reaching out, and that the average age of ministerial servant in the circuit was 49. I was surprised by the figures, and also that he would admit to it in a public talk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit