Are the Witnesses Really Losing Their Young People?

by What Now? 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• What Now?
    What Now?

To those of you wondering about the 8-midnight service - they do informal witnessing - gas stations, pizza shops and the like.

I know maybe 2 people out of all the people I grew up around who are no longer Witnesses.

From where I'm sitting, it seems as if the new generation of Witnesses is going to be stronger than ever.

• extractor
    extractor

Also consider that the "63% of those raised JW do not consider themselves to be JWs" statistic is just a snapshot in time. How many of the 37% remaining will eventually leave at a later date? The actual exit rate from birth to death has to be well in the 70s% range.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

my congo is 80% older women, 17% couples, and less than 10 under 24 years of age...........

every year you can see older people dying, and being replaced by crazies only and/or spanish people

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

This is not a representive sample, but of my circle of dub friends when I was a teenager, 7 out of 10 eventually left the cult.

And this was back in the relatively permissive WTS atmosphere of the 1970s.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

my kids hate the meeting

• designs
    designs

DaCheech, my daughter was the same, when she was in High School she begged me to not force her to go to the meetings.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T
    To those of you wondering about the 8-midnight service - they do informal witnessing - gas stations, pizza shops and the like.

sounds more like they are finding ways to have fun ..

Bye Mom Bye Dad....... Won't be home till after midnight.... Yep we are all meeting up for Service at the pizza parlor then the movie theater...

DUB's are gullible thats for sure...

bless those kids getting out every friday night.. and counting time.. genuis!!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

An answer to this is the very next topic, as I type anyway it is, about 5000 odd in attendance at Tucson 9 months ago, Gayles topic, and only 24 Baptised.

Where are the young people being baptised at DC's etc ?

Some born-ins will be getting dunked for sure, but nothing like the number there should be in theory if they are retaining as many as the O.P makes it sound.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

My current congregation has a lot of enthusiastic young people pioneering and stuff too. I think that it's simply a matter of there being a few likeable outgoing youths, who then attract the rest to want to spend time with them (all the more so when they're pretty sisters -- suddenly the brothers are discovering a newfound love for field service). Basically it's more a matter of friendship and popularity than anything. As most of them get older, get married and grow apart, their likelihood of remaining Witnesses will go down if they don't continue having social reasons for wanting to stay in.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

There were a handful of times when 4 or 5 of us would do night witnessing at gas stations and businesses after the meeting. It was easy. I would just ask if they would like something to read. Easy to place lots of mags. I never wrote down RVs. It didn't last long.

Of the 12 to 15 kids I regularly hung out with as a teen there is just 2 that still attend regularly. I was one of the last to leave the org. One friend still in told me "You were the LAST person I ever thought would leave" He doesn't talk to me anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit